A way to use a different than the first master for replicating manual PS hints

The manual hinting tutorial has a note like this:

Multiple Master Goodness

If you make sure you always attach the circle and the triangle to nodes, you only need to hint the first master. If your paths are point-compatible, which they need to be anyway, Glyphs will automatically apply the hints to all instances. Nice!

I have an older font where this makes for a bit ackward “Regular” master as the first master, followed by “Thin” and “Black” (it would be nicer to keep it in the middle). Somehow I recall having read somewhere about a custom parameter to set to select any other than the first master for replicating the PS hints to all masters, but I can neither find, guess nor remember — or am I just imaging?

Cheers

There is a Get Hints From Master custom parameter for that.

1 Like

Hello George

I have a question about this, since I’ve came across this custom parameter numerous times in the forum.
I assume the Get Hints From Master is inserted into the instances parameters?
This is how it looks when I try to do it. It seems like it doesn’t let me set the, or any master at all, of which the instances should take Hints from.

The parameter has to be set in the font, not the instances.

1 Like

So I have 2 masters (UltraLight & ExtraBlack).
I have to only hint 1 master (let’s say UltraLight) and the custom parameter, I set will also hint the ExtraBlack master and all the instances in-between?

Yes.

1 Like