Absolute scaling please

A good scale icon that is intuitive is the one used in Illustrator.

With abbreviation I did not necessarily mean a text or letter but any symbols.

OK, how about this: an outlined sans bold ā€œLā€, one small, one larger and raised above the baseline, with dashed perspective lines connecting outer points, or even just a diagonal upward arrow between the two? That would be somewhat like Illustratorā€™s Scale icon without copying it and would be obvious as to use in a font editor.

Incidentally, Illustratorā€™s Scale icon is virtually identical to the one used in the ancient Font Studio app from the late 80s so it seems to be a generic symbol for Scaling.

Is there any plan to introduce such a scaling system anytime soon? Iā€™m having trouble applying font wide non-isomorphic scaling ā€“ like I just want to add 1% but finding that I have to do this calculation of going from 99% to 100%, so thats 1/99 % = 1.01010101% ?

Where do you put the 99%?

I know this is an old thread and weā€™ve discussed this before. But I still absolutely hate the scaling function in the sidebar/palette. Itā€™s causing a lot of frustration and slows things down when making individual condensed glyphs.

If I want to scale something to 69% of its existing width, am I supposed to make some calculation to get the desired percentage? Why?

Also in build 803 Iā€™m finding whether the lock is closed or open makes no difference, itā€™s always constraining the proportions. Plus it seems to have the y-percentage first then the x-percentage, contrary to every other place you find input fields for x and y dimensions.

Iā€™m getting increasingly reluctant to keep downloading the latest betas as in the last few months it seems to be becoming less and less stable.

No. Let Glyphs do the calculation:

The Transformations Palette follows a different purpose. Transformations there need to be reversible.

Cannot reproduce either in 809. And I find 809 to be pretty stable. In other words, I can recommend the latest beta.

I have a look at the scaling in the palette.

I think the source of problem is that the icons are + and -, and the equation is built around it. Why donā€™t you make the icons ā€œapplyā€ and ā€œreverseā€ (or graphical equivalent of those) and take the percentage literally?

I disagree. Regardless of how the buttons are labeled the function is still to convoluted to justify not working with math in the info box.

That sounds good.

As a math teacher (currently), I find it very annoying when the interface lies to me about math.

Keep in mind that I am suggesting to change the math too, but I beli that plus and minus icons are partly the reason why it feels convoluted (it would have been so much better if they were actual plus and minus, and the fields were units rather than percent).

Thanks Rainer, thatā€™s helpful.

I donā€™t think I understand the use of the palette then. Reversibility, isnā€™t that what undo is for?

Will try the latest beta.

I raise this again until itā€™s resolved.

Due to rounding coordinates, clicking the other button is a destructive process and ā€œReversible Transformationā€, as the handbook calls it, is not happening anyway (and letā€™s be honest, who changes grid spacing to anything other than 1 in almost all cases?).

Please change that to ā€œApplyā€ and ā€œReverseā€ buttons, or make 100% be 100% (no change to selection). 100% to double or half is simply wrong, and it should be 200% for example. Do not break mathematics.

3 Likes

Preach it, brother! ;o) #OccupyGlyphs