Additional colors for master compatibility

hi—I’m currently working on a tri-line family, and regularly get lost trying to get master paths lined up correctly. there seem to only be five colors designated for paths. is it possible to extend that palette?

here’s an example of why I’m asking.

Not sure more colors would really help much in this case. I am afraid it would add more complexity. You can try though with the Show Component Order plug-in from Window > Plugin manager.

Rather, I would manage path order with Filter > Fix Compatibility.

maybe I’m asking the wrong question. here’s another example of where things are confusing to work with. Glyphs never seems to correctly resolve the path order in edit view in cases like this character, so I end up doing a lot of copy/paste to fix the order.

fix compatibility shows a lot of incorrect winding order–but it renders correctly.

31 40 02

With lots of paths, I find Fix Compatibility still the easiest way to keep oversight. The winding display in the filter dialog is based on the original order. You would usually go from outside to inside. Either running the filter again or just previewing it in Edit view or the Preview area should give you the right winding then.

this is the best I could get for a correct path display. note path numbers and directions. (again, it renders correctly in preview and upon export.) is this ok despite edit view errors?

Try reversing the path directions on 7, plus 8 and 9 if needed.

already tried that, but thank you. those reversals all make the final character render incorrectly.

Actually I should have said Path 8, and 9 if needed. Path 7 is OK. My bad.

no dice. all the paths are winding in the correct direction, and no changes fix the edit view. it does preview and export correctly, though. this also happens on another similarly complex character, the lowercase g. thanks for your help.

More colors mean that they are to close together that you can’t distinguish them.