Alignmentzones UC > LC

Bug or feature? If it’s a feature to not see the alignment zone on LC (if sharing same zone as UC) I don’t really understand it. Any insights?

LEFT: Uppercase I active
RIGHT: Lowercase L active in Edit view.

You are late to the party: Glyphs 3 - Metrics View :wink:

I can imagine more people find this not logic. I was reading the thread a couple of times now, but it does not seem as this is fixed, nor it will, right?

In this case I find it a good indicator that you accidentally aligned your lowercase letter to the cap height rather than the ascender.

The cap height is the same (700) as the ascenders of the lowercase. The fonts Ascender value is 750 (a bit above both caps and lowercase ascenders). This was always done like this in previous versions of Glyphs, Fontlab, Fontographer etc. How come alignment zones suddenly has a new way in Glyphs 3?

How should I do this in a logic way, you mean? :pray:

I don’t understand. You say the ascender value is 700, but then you say it’s 750? What is it?

If your designed ascender height is 700, set it to 700 in the master settings as well.

750 is the "TypoAscender” and should not have 16 as alignment zone, so just an error in the image – but this is not important. TypoAscender is very seldom the same value as the ascenders of the the lowercase glyphs such a k l b d etc.

But back to the topic, my problem is that that the alignment zones I’ve setup does not show on all glyphs, which feels a bit off compared to G2 and other apps. I mean, an alignment zone IS there, why not see it always?

Set the Ascender in the master settings to the designed ascender. You can later add the custom parameter typoAscender to the master to set a different typoAscender (and hhea, and win). Use the mekkablue script Vertical Metrics Manager for that.

Is anybody understanding what I’m asking about? :sweat_smile: I don’t want to use a workaround like this, adding two alignment zones with the exact same value, it doesn’t make any sense. If there already is an alignment zone at 700 (and there is) I want to see it on all glyphs in the edit view.

Yes, that was clear. And was/is already discussed at length in the thread Georg linked.

Still, this has nothing to do with your setting your ascender height to something different than your design. Use the custom parameters (with the Vertical Metrics Manager) to set up your vertical metrics for export.

At Glyphs, I believe we never encouraged entering wrong values. If your ascender is 700, enter 700 for your ascender. What you describe is one of many methods I have encountered.

For technical values like typoAscender, hheaAscender and winAscent, there are custom parameters. The script Vertical Metrics Manager helps.

The thing is that the ‘classic’ method you suggest is actually the workaround: to enter something that is not your ascender as your ascender.

True, though for PS hinting only. In TT hinting, it is ignored. We have compromised and only show the line. Perhaps we would need to do it the other way around.

What you can do now already is add a zone at 750 without scope. But why do you want a zone there, are you aligning anything at 750 at all?

OK, my only question in this topic (scroll to the top) is why the alignment zones are not visible on all glyphs, Like it was previously, and in my opinion like it should be. I want to see something which is there, at all times. But now everybody is talking around it :joy:

So to close this; This is not working at the moment, but perhaps you will in future updates make it work like before, since so many has brought this up in that other thread, right?

:pray: