Anchors are no longer connected

(Happy New Year!)

I have a problem with a glyphs file that hasn’t been edited for a while now. (I can’t say more precise, e.g. regarding the version number.)

After one of the last updates, some accent components are no longer “connected” to the anchors, i.e. some do not respond to “move”/place. (In one master it works, in the other not. The next glyph is the other way round.)

What could be the reason for this and how can it be fixed?

Automatic alignment is off. Recompose the glyphs or reenable alignment.

Most likely explanation: Opening an old file in a new version should give you a dialog box about what to do with marks that are not exactly where they are supposed to be according to automatic alignment. Perhaps you chose Keep when you came across that dialog.

Is it possible to do this for all affected glyphs/accented characters in one go or do I have to edit all of them individually?

Recompose all of them? Select them and choose Glyph > Make Component Glyph (Cmd-Opt-Shift-C). You need to repeat this per master.

I actually meant the function “reenable alignment”. But on the described way it should also work, right?

For reenabling alignment, I recommend the mekkablue script Components > Enable Alignment for Selected Glyphs.

OK, great. This works well – and efficiently!