Arabic variable fonts

Hi!

I’m doing some testing with an Arabic variable font, but running into two problems:

1. The rtl support in Adobe apps stops working when exporting a GX font. It was working with regular otf’s.
  2. I’ve added a virtual master for some glyphs that have a horizontally extended version. That works, only the vocalization marks don’t move along with anchors. They stay in position as opposed to following the anchors of the extending of the glyph.

Any thoughts on this?

I believe (1) is a known problem. There are more problems than just that with RTL in AI. Nothing you can do about it at the moment except wait for Adobe.

About 2: are you using the latest cutting edge version?

Ah right, thanks, good to know!

Not for this particular font. I reckon I should give that a try?

Okay, so I have two apps of Glyphs installed. One is for stable release updates, and the other for Cutting Edge versions. It’s been a while since I used the CE version, but now it asks me to update to the latest stable release. How can I update that app to the latest CE version?

You get the latest cutting edge version when you activate “Show cutting edge versions” in Preferences > Update.

I have that option enabled, but it suggests me the stable release update. Or should I first update to the stable release and after it will suggest me the latest CE version?

Edit: I updated to the latest stable release, and after checked for updates again, but I get the message that I’m up to date. No newer CE version is available?

As of today, the latest one is Version 2.6.1 (1213).

Yes, I have exported the GX font with that version. What I understood from your reply was that there is a cutting edge version that solves the problem with the vocalization marks in variable fonts.

Oh. Not in Adobe apps, sorry.

It’s not just Adobe apps where the vocalization marks don’t move along with the extending axis.
Doesn’t work on the axis praxis site either.

Can you send me the .glyphs file? And a sample text that you used?

Will do!

@GeorgSeifert georg at this domain?

Usually, support at this domain.

1 Like

How variable is your Arabic Fonts?
As variable as this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itZ66gUVVCI
Please go explore more at https://ahmedgraf.com/2018/06/12/qalam-bartar/
All the Best

Great. But how is this on topic?

Schmal > Great. But how is this on topic?

@ Please have a look at the message I have just sent you through Glyphsapp.com

Thanks in anticipation

I have read that, but it show basically the same as reply above and a request to email you to work together? Still don’t know how that relates to my initial questions.

Schmal > I have read that, but it show basically the same as reply above and a request to email you to work together? Still don’t know how that relates to my initial questions.

@ Well! Have I confused Variable Arabic fonts with Dynamic Arabic fonts?
Have you joined https://telegram.org/ and explored the files there Telegram: Contact @FonJawi ?
Selecting and attaching QB-English.pdf from there, hope it helps in developing variable (dynamic) Arabic fonts.
QB-English.pdf (187.3 KB)
Any how, the choice is yours if you are not willing to work together.
Best Regards

Hey! I am working on a Hebrew font with some horizontally extended alternatives. But I am a total newbie and don’t understand this program at all. Is there a way to define the alternative such that it will be substituted based on the spacing and justification? I am sorry this is only mildly related… thanks!