Autohinting Errors

I have auto-hinting problem on many characters when I export them to OTF.

Even though I excluded some of them on Custom Parameters/Exports/Font info, it still notice autohinting error for letters which I excluded.

Those letters are mostly Marks and Punctuations. It firstly happened on fraction and I excluded the one then shows comma and etc.

Can I see all these error glyphs on one window or just do not experience this error?
I have no idea how I fix all these letters.

What version of Glyphs fo you have. Can you send me that file?

I recently upgraded (apx 2 months ago) to 3.0 but this font is started with 2.6.6.

I tried to attach it in this thread but the system rejected because I’m a new user for the site.

Can you let me know your email?

I had a look at your file. The problem, it seems are your stem settings. A design like this should at most have two stems for each direction. Your have several zero stems. That might have been caused by the conversion to Glyphs 3.

Thank you so much for your help.

I made changes with deleting some Stems out on Mater/Font Info. as you suggested.
It smoothly exports.

I also get an error that’s related to Autohinting. If I export my fonts and have Autohinting activated, I get this message:

If I turn Autohinting off, everything works fine. There are no glyphs in the font with hints!

I’m also on Glyphs 3, which I bought a few days ago. This is the first time I export this font to the Adobe folder.
FYI, exporting this font under Glyphs 2.x always worked perfectly.

I don’t know what this message means, BTW. So I have no idea how to fix this. I tried unchecking the Autohinting option, after I found this post. But this is no fix!

Can you send me the .glyphs file?

I’ve sent it to support@.

Thanks in advance for your help.

René

I checked your file. It exports fine in the latest cutting edge version.

But you stem settings are not good (they are the same in masters…)

Hey I am new to glyphs and I have the same Problem. Can anyone help?
Lena

Can you be more specific? What error exactly?

When exporting the font there is a problem with auto hinting of the glyph “a”.

Can you send me that file?

I just sent the file to the support email. Thanks in advance for your help!

I had a look at your file, and found that it is not set up for PS hinting. No zones are set, no stems are set, and many outlines are missing extremum points. However it exports fine if you do the following:

• delete the open path in the glyph a (bottom right-)
  • select all glyphs and choose Path > Correct Path Directions
  • select all glyphs and choose Path > Tidy up Paths

For making use of PS hinting, consider:

• setting zones for cap height, x-height and baseline at least in File > Font Info > Masters > Metrics
  • setting one vertical and one horizontal stem in File > Font Info > Masters > Stems

Generally, for cleaning up the file, I recommend:

• In File > Font Info > Font > Custom Parameters, consider removing vendorID, panose, unicodeRanges, fsType and glyphOrder.
  • In File > Font Info > Font and Exports, remove the Full Name and Font Name entries.
  • In the Font Tab (Cmd-Opt-1), find all glyphs beginning with GID, select them and remove them (Cmd-Delete).
  • Remove all the parameters in File > Font Info > Masters > Custom Parameters

Most of these settings are there because they were reverse-engineered and imported from a compiled file, I suppose. They would only make sense if you want to keep round-trip compatibility. But I assume that is not a concern in your case.

1 Like

Thank you so much for the quick support! I will check this :slight_smile: