Automatic code insertion

Not possible at the moment. You could write your own Anchor Selector tool that would do that (at the expense of ignoring all other glyph content).

@mekkablue Is it possible to directly add tools (with an icon to click in the UI), or just via script?

Yes, with a plug-in. There are templates and code samples in the GlyphsSDK:

Do you have coding experience?

Yes, I’m developing webapps with JavaScript.
This is very useful. I’ll have a look at it.

Btw: I just noticed that the autogenerated kerning feature has “lookupflag IgnoreMarks” by default. Is there a way to disable this? I need kerning for marks, too.

Between letters you need that flag. For mark positioning, consider the mark and mkmk features or a lookup with lookupflag 0.

My font is for a conlang that does not use any of the normal diacritics. When I remove the IgnoreMarks flag from the kerning in features.fea and recompile, everything works.

But this way I cannot use autogenerated kerning and have to use the kern feature manually.

I just tried to use the kern feature manually, but it still autogenerates kern_DFLT and kern_latin. When I use the same lookup names in the manual listing, I get an error message that these lookup names already exist.

I have an Idea:
If a user creates a feature manually he could click a button to generate a small template structure that represents the autogenerated code. Like this example in the kern feature:

Here the user could decide to add manual code before or after it.
And even inside the autogenerated lookups to remove or add to the lookup flags for example.

2 Likes

This is an interesting suggestions. I see how it could work.

I just stumbled over this again.

Why is the ignore mark flag a problem? Maybe you glyph info settings are wrong?

I tried to directly edit the features.fea file but I get an error message: “Lookup type different from previous rules in this lookup block”.

Are you aware that you cannot put contextual and non-contextual rules within the same lookup? All rules within a single lookup must be of the same type.

You can add context to anchors now. Prefix the anchor name with a * and you’ll get a text field in the right sidebar. There you add the context and use an * for the current glyph.