Batch copying of glyphs to a new master

Hi everybody! Could you please help me. In my new font I have two masters - one master is Regular and second master is Bold. Now I want to create one more master where I will have all my Regular glyphs and Bold glyphs in order to mix all these masters with contextual alternatives. Could you please help me understand how I can copy all glyphs from two masters into my new master. Can I somehow do a batch copying-pasting?

1 Like

Tried to copy-paste glyph by glyph but it takes ages. Does anyone know about batch copying? Please please share the recipe. Thank you!!

anybody?

I don’t think I fully understand what you are trying to do. Can you show an example? Regular and bold paths on top of each other? How should compounds work?

You can duplicate a master in the gear menu in Font Info > Masters, that would be half of the job. Then either write a quick script. Or I can try and add a Keep Target Layer Content option to my Masters > Copy Layer to Layer script.

1 Like

no, it is not really what I mean. I have one master (Regular) with A-Z glyphs. I have another master (Bold) with A-Z glyphs. I want to make one more master containing A-Z (from Regular) AND A-Z from Bold. I will use this master as a new version of my font that has contextual substitutions. I want the user to have three options when using my family font:
option 1: using MyFont_Regular and typing with A-Z Regular
option 2: using MyFont_Bold and typing A-Z Bold
option 3: using MyFont_Mix and typing both (!) Regular and Bold glyphs randomly

Could you please check the picture, I tried to do it clear: http://s012.radikal.ru/i319/1702/08/cafd99893a1f.jpg

Why a third master? That should be a separate font because it has a different glyph set. I recommend:

1. duplicating the font twice (in Finder)
  2. deleting the second master in duplicate A and the first master in duplicate B
  3. copy the glyphs from B, and paste them into A, the letters will appear as a.001, b.001 etc.
  4. find & replace in all glyph names: .001 -> .calt
1 Like

I tried script Merge… but it mixes paths in one glyph. I also tried script Copy Layer to Layer but it gives me panel for entering Python code. Is there a simple solution to solve my problem, please??? Or please just tell me that app doesn’t have this solution and I will continue with copying-pasting of my 450 glyphs.

Try my suggestion from my latest post, please.

Thank you very much! So sorry, I missed your previous post when typing my last question-(

1 Like

Good morning! I did everything according to your advice. I’ve got a document containing all three designs of my glyphs in one master: f.e. A, A.001, A.002. I also have diacritics in all initial files for each design from where I copied my glyphs. But it is appeared that I have a problem with stylistic variants for diacritics. For example in my new document there are Aacute, Aacute.001, Aacute.002. Aacute is fine, but Aacute.001 has A but not A.001 as a component (the same problem for acute component). Aacute.002 has the same problem - A as a component and not A.002. Of course I can manually change all the components in 001 and 002 diacritics, but I have so many of them that it will take really a long time. Can I somehow solve the problem?

The problem is of course that in the original file, the A diacritics employed A as a component. That stayed the same after copying and pasting, only that A refers to a different glyph now. (It should rename the component reference too if you paste A and Aacute at the same time, though.)

Two ways:

1. Before copying, select and rename all your glyphs (Cmd-Shift-F) and add a suffix to them: leave the Find field blank, and put your suffix in the Replace field. That way, they won’t need to be renamed at pasting, and all the references stay intact.

2. Or, re-compose them: select Aacute.001 (and the other diacritics and choose Glyph > Make Component Glyph. It will prefer components with the same suffix. So Aacute.001 will be re-composed of A.001 and acutecomb.001, if available.

Thanks, it works!