Best practice for FontLab / Fontographer file conversion in 2019

Yes it does. They are called groups to differentiate from other OT classes. See the kerning tutorial.

Thanks, I will read the tutorial. I’ve edited the posts accordingly.

This has been interesting. I found some sample .fog files that came with Fontographer 4.7, dated September 1994. One is Goudy Hundred. I brought it through FLS5 and converted to Glyphs with the python export script. I also tried opening it with FLVI and exporting to Glyphs from within the app. Both ways kept kerning intact. There were differences in custom parameters. The direct from FLVI export has glyphOrder only. The python export from .vfb has panose, openTypeOS2Type, and glyphOrder. I was impressed that 25 year-old files can be opened so easily.

Yes it seems to be the custom parameters where things can go awry. The glyphs themselves are easy to pass back and forth. I guess it is impressive, there aren’t many graphics application files from the time that can still be opened. Quark Xpress and Illustrator perhaps? FreeHand and Pagemaker files can’t be opened by anything these days, but then again it’s unusual to need access to artwork that old. With typefaces the timescales are often much longer, and the software in use for much longer than any artwork files.

1 Like

The grey custom parameters are not supported by Glyphs.
And a lot of the parameters that are imported from the .ufo are superfluous as Glyphs would calculate those values automatically. So more data is not necessarily a good thing here as it just adds room for errors.

Thanks for the clarification. I hoped that much of this stuff was no longer needed and personally I’m happy to see the back of TrueType and some of the legacy hoops that we had to jump through. I started out with Fontographer which was a very simple and accessible tool but there was a period of time where I was using FontLab and publishing type seemed to become overly technical. It’s nice to be able to focus on publishing OpenTypePS for HD displays and knowing that there seem to be a lot less technical gotchas than there used to be.

UFO can’t store any hinting at all IIRC, which may be a major drawback if you had invested time to do it. Also many online services (Dropbox, Github) don’t play well with it, treat .ufo files like a folder (which it kind of is, but that should remain a secret).

That’s interesting to know and thanks for sharing this info here. It’s good to have some of this info in one thread in case anyone else is searching for this the same subject.

Sorry but the Glyphs Export.py worked nice only with FLS V. Now with Catalina, can’t open FLS V anymore.
Any file export I tried from FLVII had bad results:
A Hebrew fonts exported resulted with bad glyph names: either with Alef or with uni05D0
Choosing Udtade Glyph Info did nothing. In the past (before Catalina) it would change nicely to alef-hb.

Any clue?

The conversation of glyph names should still work. Maybe the ‘Use custom glyph names’ in font info > other is set?

Yep. My mistake. Thanks.