Bracket trick not working in components

For example, /Oslash is constructed from /O component and a slash (path). Bracket trick has been done for all masters and works nicely in Glyphs and when exported (testing in Indesign and Drawbot).

/Oslashacute is constructed from /Oslash and /acute components. Bracket trick has also been done for all masters, with same settings as in /Oslash. It works in Glyphs, but not when exported. Instead, it shows just straight interpolation between masters, ignoring the bracket trick.

Decomposing /Oslashacute before exporting fixes the problem, but is cumbersome and Iā€™d rather avoid that.

Are there any other methods to solve this?

In the latest version of Glyphs, you shouldnā€™t need the bracket layers in Oslashacute.

Thanks Georg. I exported the font in Glyphs 3 and indeed that fixed the issue, almost. All glyphs except /oslash and /oslashacute work in the exported file. Which is weird because /oslash bracket trick worked fine when I exported it from Glyphs 2.

Do you have a reverse bracket layer?

Hint:

Better: from O component and slashlongcomb.case component.

Ok, now everything exports nicely.

A note about weird naming issue:

• Glyphs 2 exported the font name as it should be
  • imported to Glyphs 3, the same file exported (VF) with ā€œregularā€ added to the family name
  • I added ā€œvariable font family name and style nameā€ custom params and exported that version (didnā€™t help the naming)
  • Took the above custom params away. After that, exported VF font with font name as it should be, without the ā€œregularā€ addition.

@mekkablue Ok, thanks. But care to elaborate why including both O and slash as components is better?

Oh, one more thing: bracket layers that were imported from G2 got renamed to [260ā€¹wg] and open up a handy dialog (see screenshot) when edited. If I duplicate a layer and rename it (as in your tutorial), it will not create a similar dialog version of the bracket layer. How to do it manually?

The tutorial is not up to date. Renaming doesnā€™t do anything any more.

Ok. My question is: how do I get that nice dialog in the screenshot, seen in below the light layer?

Right click the layer and select ā€˜Alternateā€™.

Gotcha, thanks!

Yes it is:

The two old Glyphs 2 tutorials have a version note at the top.

1 Like

@mekkablue I tried to do what you suggested, constructing /Oslash from /O and /slashlongcomb.case components ā€“ bracket trick works in exported /Oslash but not in /Oslashacute (contains /Oslash and /acutecomb components). I tried this with and without bracket layers in /Oslashacute.

The same font, with the same layer setup, but /Oslash constructed from /O component and a path ā€“ bracket trick works in exported, both /Oslashacute and /Oslash.

Can you send me the font, with the components intact?

Best to send the .glyphs file to support (at) (this website without ā€˜wwwā€™ or ā€˜forumā€™). I will have a look.