Bug reports & feature request

Okay, that might work. I'll tell him to try. (I know the former trick of course)

i would like to add my recent collection of
a) bugs (or similar)
and
b) requests

all open to be accepted or not :slight_smile:

Bugs:

– Component switch off Auto Alignment:
In order to move it with the cursor, you first have to deselect and select it again. I often put components in a background of another glyph, but need to move them around, they are jus a reference, so it happens in 95% that their position is not the desired one for the other glyph)

– Export to UFO destroys my Asterisk which is fully made from rotated copies of one component (maybe that is the reason? anyway, this is significant)*

– Font to UFO removes overlap in some seldom cases*

– How to rename Masters??? Once they have a name (got for instance an »Italic« which is not anymore (used a former glyphs file as template).
Also it is confusing to stick to the preset options if your Masters are not creating a Design Space of these 3 weights.

– Trace Bug: i sometimes get just the border of an background image as a tracing result.
Happens from time to time and after an App restart the same image gets traced properly.

– Preview Panel gets unusable (grey, empty)
Sometimes when I open a bunch of fonts and export them via Script (which also closes all Files)
If I then open another File, it occurs. Only App restart solves it.

– Copy layer of a bold Master is called »Regular«
I think this is a bit related to the other layer naming issue I reported recently. It seems to be just the case if the bold master was just created and the font file not saved in the meantime. I think this happened later as well, but it’s hard to recreate.

– Font Info: »Designer« once you wrote something there and delete it again, you cannot escape at all (an error message appears)

– show Background Filled doesn’t work for me (10.7.5 & 10.9)

– Wordomat doesn’t work anymore on my 10.9
suddenly it requests FontTools, RoboFab, Vanilla in Python 2.6 (which are all there, and work with other scripts)

– redrawing of the placeholders: when switching masters and working with placeholders, they always one switch behind.
that’s a super crucial bug, I reported this long time ago. please, please, help on that :slight_smile:

– the Quicklook plugin displays rotated components with knocked out overlap, even though this might be ok for the font and the otf-export.

– Components in Components are not appearing in QuickLook
(that is from an older note, have no file at hand to check back right now)

– Glyphs Viewer
have sometimes connection problems. Got to switch wifi off and on an my phone, then i get the option. there is only one network available, so this might not be the cause.

• in general: how reliable is the UFO export at the moment? what to take care of when working with the ufo workflow?

Requests:

– Filter »all letters with path« works, but not able to include component only letters. OR? Might be useful & logic to include these as well. either as an option to add, or in general included in the filter »has path«

– when closing (collapsing) the Lists on the Left, can this be stored? Either global or for the Font File. (Want to save place for quicker access to my own filters). All the scripts are rarely used and doesn’t need to face the user all the time.

– coloring is for a bunch of users a major Tool. I think the options are too little with the preset 12 colors.
(or could they at least be a bit prettier? the orange and brown look rather dirty, so they might be unlikely to be used)
i have some connotated coloring workflow, where green is reserved for marking super finished »don’t touch« stuff, red is for high priority attention, blue is for reference, grey is for components. and so on. the palette is too small for color out other design particularities like stylistic sets, optional designs, finals, initials, whatever one wants to color.
I am aware of the filters, but it is not about showing or hiding, but about easily spot certain categories or so.

– reordering Tabs by dragging

– undo for closing a tab

– option to close the Font by shortcut without closing a Tab. (Low Priority, I could script it and assign one, though)

– beam in measure mode (instead of measuring outside of path to Sidebearing and from Sidebearing to the next path:
make a)
path to path
and b)
also inside (counters)

– math in input fields (degrees of guidelines, italic angle »12« has to be calculated from 90) (this was just requested in another thread, but i’d like to have it in general (font info dimensions would be nice, etc)

thanks for the patience :slight_smile:

Hold down Option and click on the Plus sign to the right. Choose Any of the following are true.
What is Show Background Filled? I have Show Background and Fill Preview.
Background Filled is a Reporter Plugin that Georg once put online. sorry for this being a bit off-topic (since it is a plugin)
that does the trick, thanks!
I don’t really understand. So you add a component in the background and then like to move it? I can move it just after adding it. I fixed a few things about that recently. What version do you have? Can you send me your .glyphs file for testing? Can you send me the .glyphs file, too? The master names are generated from the weight and width pulldowns. How did you manage to get a "Italic" in there? I have to have a look at the trace plugin. Can you describe how this happens? Did you add the image and trace it without saving/opening the file in between? There are several reports about that. I can't reproduce it so it is difficult to fix right now. This happens in the font if you copy a layer that does not belong to the currently active master. I will see it I can fix this. In the mean time, select the master in the toolbar, first. Fixed it. Do you have the objectsGS.py file installed? This is a known issue. Can’t reproduce this. Can you send me the .glyphs file and a screenshot? That seems to be fixed as it works for me. I improved it just recently. If you have any specific problems, could you send me the files for testing?
I have a look at it. I will see what I can do. The undo is complicated enough … I don’t understand. this is one the list for some time. I hope I figure something out.

thanks for the attention! i’ll answer all your requests on friday, cannot make it before.

yes. but can you move it with you cursor (meaning the arrow keys on the keyboard) right after inserting? i can not. i first have to click somewhere (like unselecting) and when i select the component again, i can move it with the arrow keys. looks like i cannot reproduce this anymore. perhaps this is due to your fix in the meantime. same for the removed overlap. (i try to keep an eye on that, if it occurs again. yes, we tried that objectGS.py stuff in another thread. good news for now: suddenly it works again … weird though, since i did not change anything. I have no clue. But it is there. I can send you a screenshot. Still my request would be about being able to rename the masters, since they are not always just »light«, »normal« or »fat«. Unfortunately I cannot reproduce it on command. I’ll try to keep track, when this happens again. Sorry.

i’ll send you a mail with some screenshots, testfiles and an illustration of what i mean with the measurement line.

thanks.

In the font view:

• one character is selected
  • I move slider to zoom in
  • it would be nice it zooms with selected character in the center

Feature request:

1. While drawing with pen tool, you can cancel the last node either by hitting Delete or Cmd-Z, both of which stops the current pass and forces the next click to start a new outline. Could you make either one of them, say, Cmd-Z to still keep the pass and allow user to continue drawing?
  2. When you cut or delete nodes and undo, they are deselected, unlike in other undo when they can remain selected. Can you keep the selected state of the deleted nodes? It can be bug-prone though.

I have no solution for preserving the selection after undo, jet. I hope that I find a solution.

That’s fine then, but I’d like you to solve it whenever possible.

Bug(?) report:

1. When multiple glyphs are selected in the glyphs view (not edit), sometimes you can change metrics from the bottom left section but sometimes it doesn’t accept any input (seems to work only initially?).
  2. Also in the Metrics tab of Transformations filter, width checkbox also locks “Relative” checkbox, which shouldn’t be related to that.

the option to display alternative letters doesn’t work for figures. makes sense according to what the checkbox says (literally) but feels not logical, though. or?

I disabled this because all the tabular, proportional and what not figures next to each other was very confusing.

it’s all fine then. good to know that you are aware of this.

more for the features requests:

how about a possibility to snap handles to the italic angle as they do when you shift click and they snap to 90° normally? Perhaps an opt-shift-click, or selecting the handle and displaying a italic-angle-guide.

you might say that it is recommended to only use extremes at 90°, but i think for certain designs it makes sense to work with handles (perpendicular) to the italic angle.

and a question:
is there a mathematical or whatever reason for that if you tilt a shape – e.g. 20° – that the handles are getting slanted (=good) but not reach the tilt-tool set up angle?

what do you think?

Not sure I understand what you mean. I tried and vertical handles do reach 20° when you slant 20°, except for the small deviation due to the grid setting. Or did you mean something else?