Can't export variable font using "brackets" + glyphslib throws error

Hi, I can’t make glyphs that have some “bracket” layer inside work. The font exports but the don’t switch.

Blockquote

this is how the glyph that should replace the default dollar looks like after ttx
it is a regular dollar bar thing replacement trick
so it should have 3 set of deltas, right?

<glyphVariations glyph="dollar.varAlt01">
  <tuple>
    <coord axis="wght" value="1.0"/>
    <delta pt="0" x="95" y="0"/>
  </tuple>
</glyphVariations>

Version 2.6.6 (1348)

On top of that I get this error, which only gives this file nothing else. There are no background layers that I know of.

1. How can I remove these “background layers” ? Might it cause the issue?

Glyph ‘sacute’: All components of the background layer of ‘Thin’ will be decomposed.
Glyph ‘sacute’: All components of the background layer of ‘Heavy’ will be decomposed.
Glyph ‘scaron’: All components of the background layer of ‘Thin’ will be decomposed.
Glyph ‘scaron’: All components of the background layer of ‘Heavy’ will be decomposed.
Glyph ‘scedilla’: All components of the background layer of ‘Thin’ will be decomposed.
Glyph ‘scedilla’: All components of the background layer of ‘Heavy’ will be decomposed.
Glyph ‘scircumflex’: All components of the background layer of ‘Thin’ will be decomposed.
Glyph ‘scircumflex’: All components of the background layer of ‘Heavy’ will be decomposed.
Glyph ‘scommaaccent’: All components of the background layer of ‘Thin’ will be decomposed.
Glyph ‘scommaaccent’: All components of the background layer of ‘Heavy’ will be decomposed.
Glyph ‘tcaron’: All components of the background layer of ‘Thin’ will be decomposed.

Can you send me the .glyphs file that I can have a look?

The glyphslib warning is because glyphslib can’t handle components from one layer (the background) to the foreground (as glyphs is doing it).

You used a bracket layer setup that seems to confuse Glyphs.
Screenshot
The Thin master has the full stroke, the [550] bracket layer has the disconnected stroke. In the Heavy, it is opposite.

The default ([550]) would have been exactly the other way around, so your two ]550] layers seem to be producing wrong results.

Thanks for having a look. This is a bit confusing for me and maybe it would help if Glyphs displayed it correctly then. Why is it that fontmake and glyphs preview can view/export it as expected?

The preview in glyphs used s totally different algorithm then the variable font export. It is mich more flexible in the positions of the masters and instances.