Can't get my font to be work in Microsoft Word

Hi ! The line lookup lookup kern_latn; don’t work but lookup kern_latin; yes !

But when i export it make an error… I don’t understand why ! And in the fea file i haven’t the lookup line…

Are you sure you have kerning in your font at all? It should show up in the features.fea.

Yes i have kerning !

Can you try the latest versions and send me the .glyphs file?

@GeorgSeifert Yes of course ! Thanks to you but i can’t send you my file because “new user can not upload attachments.”… Can you give me you email ?

Send a dropbox link in a direct message or by email.

Thanks for the file. The problem is the custom code in the dist feature. You do not have any “default” kerning and misspelled the other lookup name.
The dist feature should look like this:

lookup kern_latn; 

And if you would add an italic angle (something like 39°) the spacing would be much easier. Then you will see that the right side bearing of n and h are quite different despite the very similar shape. The pair n+h shouldn’t need a kerning pair. That has to be fixed by spacing alone.

I also had a look and was just going to post the same. The spacing needs attention. Much of the kerning is unnecessary. You should be able to put Metrics Keys to a good use:
https://glyphsapp.com/tutorials/spacing

OK so concretely I must remove all kerning and I start again with the method on the link? When you say “default” kerning, do you mean kerning grouped with other letters?

no, you don’t need this line lookup kern_DFLT; because you don’t have kerning between any non letters.

Hi Mekkablue,

I have tried all the above advice for a new font I have recently built in Glyphs and nothing seems to be working. The font name hasn’t been showing up at all in Powerpoint. I changed the name by adding numbers at the font and now the name shows up but still only types Calibre. Everything works perfectly in Adobe but struggling to get anywhere with the Microsoft programs.

I’ve attached a link to the typeface (both files are the same but with the name change) Typeface files

. I would really appreciate any help you can give me.

Thanks

The font is showing up now but liga feature and alt characters aren’t working.

Sorry that I cannot help you. PowerPoint is broken beyond repair when it comes to fonts. Microsoft is apparently not willing to fix it, because it’s been like that for 25 years now. I am 43 years now and at the point where I doubt that I will live to see the day where PowerPoint has anything that remotely resembles OpenType support.

Make sure you have the latest version of Windows, make sure you export and install a TTF (not a CFF), make sure you have the Win1252 character set completely covered including nbspace and softhyphen, make sure you have no custom parameters you do not understand. Embrace the fact that OT features and kerning will not work, no matter what you do.

5 Likes

Hi AitchCreates,
few years back I came across similar problems with Office applications for Mac.
Specifically, it was the old Mac Office 2011, if I remember correctly, that in 2017 was still popular.
On which platform are you working on, and what version of Office are you using? An update could fix the major issues, or alleviate them.

In my case, the problem was related to the missing cmap for Mac platform. I checked your files and they are all missing it, so I thought it could be connected. Adding it could fix the issue.