Change a default glyph to a Stylistic Alternate?

On an existing font (DIN Next) I’d like to switch the glyph for zero (0030) to be the same as the glyph for zero.alt01, so I don’t have to keep changing it every time. Is there any easy way to switch these glyphs, or copy the glyph design from one character to another?

I’m a completely new user, just started an hour ago.

Rename them?

We should point out that the license for DIN Next might not allow this kind of modification.

Hmmm… interesting. The EULA says:

1. Alterations to Font Software. You may not alter Font Software for the purpose of adding any functionality that such Font Software did not have when delivered to you by Monotype. If the Font Software contains embedding bits that indicate that the Font Software is only authorized for certain purposes, you may not change or alter the embedding bits.

Is this kind of wording new? Sounds surprisingly permissive and quite elegant but one could easily argue about what exactly “functionality” means in this context.

Ah of course, Tim is right. Adobe EULAs allow modifications, but Monotype does not.

Does the software you use the font with not support stylistic alternates? Or how exactly do you ‘keep changing them’?

At first glance the Eula seems to allow removal of functionality as he is trying to do (by removing a letter).

Thanks for the responses! I guess what I’m trying to do is illegal. I just want to not have to choose alternate styles every time I want the alternate 0,1,7 - I make and sell large calendars, and I type the numbers in by hand (maybe that’s the problem I need to solve first! Ha!) in illustrator. I have done this for 8 years for all of the versions of my calendar.

Since it’s laborious to type these numbers in, I don’t want to add to the time it takes by also having to click the alternate styles button every time I use a 1, 0 and 7, for example. I guess this is a feature that would be nice if it was in illustrator.

If you’ve read this far, I have another question: is it illegal for me to use a font on something I’m selling? I think I’ve heard that somewhere. I use Gotham and Helvetica Neue currently.