Changes to auto alignment

@GeorgSeifert: Sent email to support with a stripped down file showing those details.

George, I do not understand how you come to this conclusion. Your own research shows that napostrophe is not in use, period. I speak and read Afrikaans, and let me tell you, there is no keyboard that has it, and literally no one that uses this character, zero. People who type Afrikaans always type the apostrophe (or what they think is an apostrophe) and the n, separately. Unicode only includes it for completeness and round trip conversion with an 8 bit encoding that was hardly in use by South African authorities for a short period decades ago, and not at all in use afterwards. And we have better ways to deal with backwards compatibility (replacing characters).

What’s more, I have so often seen it designed with the apostrophe moved over the left half of n, which is simply wrong. Plus you would have to take care of italics, small caps, etc. So much for ‘it’s easy to include’.

So, it is not used by anyone, it is next to impossible to actually use it, its use is discouraged, and even when it is in a font, it can be expected to have been designed wrongly. The very few users who actually know about the character, would not use it if they could, because it usually looks wrong. In my conclusion, it is a waste of bandwidth.

1 Like

Rainer, that is a very good explanation. I came to my conclusion because as I said, it’s an easy construction which takes only a moment of my time.

After your detailed explanation though, I think it’s best to not include the glyph in any future projects. Any question of backwards compatibility should not be an issue in this instance.

I just opened my Kannada file in 870 and I haven’t found any alignment issues.

The “Is Autoaligned” smart filter is helpful. “Has Autoalign Error” would also be nice. It’s easy to miss those little icons in a big font.

There it a “Metrics Keys out of sync” filter that looks for the icons.