Changing units per Em in font info not actually updating UPM


#1

An extreme example - but here is my units per Em setting in font info

image

And here is a portion of a glyph in the font (still in original UPM)

I’m on latest beta, and have semi-recently been making use of this feature (a few versions ago).


#2

I don’t understand what you are trying to do? Did you change the unit per em (from 1000) to 800? If you expect that everything else is scaled, use the arrow button next to the field.


#3

You changed the UPM, you did not scale the font.
As Georg says, clicking the scale button next to it will scale all measurements throughout the font.


#4

Sorry, I should have been clearer.

I did scale the font. No changes make to that setting affect the output font. In fact, making a change to UPM doesn’t survive saving the font and re-opening it.


#5

Of course. If you scale everything to a new UPM and then don’t change the UPM afterwards, then all you changed was the granularity of the grid.


#6

I have scaled, and that didn’t work (as shown in first screenshot), I have also changed UPM without scaling and the output fonts behave the same.

Previously, changing UPM without scaling has affected the scale/linespacing out the output fonts.


#7

Then something else was wrong. This may be a font cache problem. Read this please:
http://www.glyphsapp.com/tutorials/eliminating-font-cache-problems


#8

I’ve tracked down the issue (from my side).

Changing the UPM value then exiting the Font Info panel has a different behaviour to changing the UPM, then pressing enter, then exiting. The former is what I need for the project I’m working on, so I’ll stick to doing that.