Components on masters

Here is something which could perhaps made easier (if I am not missing something).

1. Design one font with components, like a full font.
  2. Expand it by adding a new Master

The new master does not get the component glyphs automatically, instead a grey default letter is showing on the new master (since the previous have these glyphs).

Now if there was an easy way to just mark those grey in the new master and say "build these components” it would be great.

I am copying from the first master now to make this work. In a tab I switch from Master one to master two and copy/past.

Any thought on this?

You should use the “Add” button and add the same file to itself. Then you have all paths and components in the new master.

Ah, yes. I understand. Super.

Or, even quicker, in Font Info > Masters, start dragging a master, add the Option key, and release the mouse button.

Nice! I’ll do that on next font :slight_smile:

Hi, other doubt, if I do what @GeorgSeifert suggest, it works but lost information like labels or sublayer, this post is from '14, is there a better suggestion?

That should not be the case if you simply duplicate the master.

Thanks @mekkablue, I understand that, but I didn’t do it by choice, any other way?

You want to copy associated sublayers of one master to another? Like this?

BEFORE:

• Light Master
    • Extra layer 1
    • Extra layer 2
  • Bold Master

AFTER:

• Light Master
    • Extra layer 1
    • Extra layer 2
  • Bold Master
    • Extra layer 1
    • Extra layer 2

Duplicating or option dragging preserves all masters. I’ll fix the “Add another Font” to also copy all layers.