Connecting nodes in masters for interpolation

Hi, I am trying to enable interpolation between multiple masters (glyphs of an existing font) but as you can see way too many things went wrong. I’ve followed all the steps in the article strictly. All masters have the same amount of paths, nodes and handles. Start nodes are in sync.

It seems like there is a problem with nodes’ naming or order. Is there a way to fix the problem? Thanks

Although you say it’s in sync, it looks like the path’s first node may be different in the different masters. Hold down Option and choose Path > Correct Path Direction for All Masters and see if that solves it.

Edited to add: is there a reason you’re working in quadratic rather than cubic splines? Not sure if that might also produce issues like this.

2 Likes

Thanks @eliason, path direction appears fine in all masters ↓

is there a reason you’re working in quadratic rather than cubic splines? Not sure if that might also produce issues like this.

No, this is how glyphs appear in ttf file I am working with. Would you recommend to convert? And if that will not help is there any remedy?

You may have imported a TTF, but you are working in a .glyphs file, and you can choose to export it as a CFF or TTF. Quadratic splines are only necessary if you want to keep points exactly as in an original, which is exactly what you do not want to do here. So I would also recommend to convert all glyphs in all masters to cubic.

You fixed the start points already. Good, next step would be to reduce this high number of masters. You probably just need to keep the lightest and boldest masters. The steps in between appear to be interpolations. Keeping two masters compatible is also easier than keeping six compatible.

1 Like

Thanks @mekkablue, converting to cubic mostly resolved the issue. Just needed to delete few extra points the conversion created.