Copy all glyphs from one master to another

Hi,

I’d like to copy all glyphs from one master to another in the same font. How to do this all at once?

I tried Mekkablue’s scripts “Fill up empty masters” but it did not work for me or I did something wrong. And yes, I have installed vanilla :slight_smile:

Just add the same font as a new master?

Thank you for a tip.
This is a some kind of a solution. I have to export all instances with Remove Overlap option unchecked, and then import a file… A little bit complicated though.

What about Mekkablue’s script? Can it do this? Or it has a different purpose?

The script was make for that. I just tried it and it worked for me.

ok. so I can see a problem. It cannot find vanilla: ImportError: No module named vanilla.

I think I installed vanilla. I did as it was described in README file:

cd ~/Library/
svn co http://svn.typesupply.com/packages/vanilla
cd vanilla/trunk/
sudo python setup.py install

I got this:

running install
running build
running build_py
running install_lib
running install_egg_info
Removing /Library/Python/2.7/site-packages/vanilla-0.1-py2.7.egg-info
Writing /Library/Python/2.7/site-packages/vanilla-0.1-py2.7.egg-info

So I assume that library has been already installed.

Should I set something else?

I fixed it. I had to copy vanilla files to Python’s folder 2.6. It was installed to 2.7 and didn’t work. Is this ok?

Just copy it. I usually manually copy it to the right python folder, skipping the install.

This script isn’t working 100% correctly for me, it doesn’t copy the position, orientation and rotation of components correctly , and doesn’t copy the metrics either?

The reason I need to do this is for a particular problem which someone here may have a better solution:

I’ve drawn my glyph set and have 2 masters, Regular (80) and Bold (200). I now see that the caps in my Bold are too dark so I want to interpolate only the caps back to 190 weight.

Right now I’m:

1. Generating a master at 190,
  2. Inserting 190 as master back into original file.
  3. Copy Layer to Layer script to copy 190 into 200 for caps only.
  4. “«Steal» metrics from another font” script from 190 file open in another Glyphs window into the original file for new 200 master.

There’s got to be a better way surely? The Paste Special isn’t working either…

After step 1, I suggest: 2. In the generated instance (190): Font View > Categories > Letter > Uppercase > Select all > Copy 3. In the MM, bold master (200): Font View > Categories > Letter > Uppercase > Select all > Paste Special, Layer only

You could use the RMX tools (http://remix-tools.com/glyphsapp) to transform the glyphs right in place.

Thanks! That did the trick, I was doing overwrite selected glyphs expecting it to work the same.