Copy layer shortcut

This seems a bit of an obvious question, though I have been unable to find an answer: is there any shortcut (Or script) for simply copying a glyph outline to a new background layer, i.e. the equivalent of pressing Copy in the Layers palette?

I am trying to train myself always to copy outlines before starting to tweak them, and I’d find this simpler and quicker with a shortcut than having to aim for a small grey button.

Why not use the Background? Paths > Selection to Background. This is for a quick-and-easy back-up.

This sounds like you will end up with way too many layers. But you could write a script that duplicates the layer and appends it to the glyph layers. If the script is installed in the Scripts folder, you can assign a shortcut.

Thanks Rainer. Selection to Background has its uses, but as far as I know only keeps one copy, whereas I like to keep a breadcrumb trail of significant edits in case I have to backtrack. it’s handy that I can rename them too. And it’s very easy to delete redundant layers.

I assumed that a simple script would be the answer, so now I just have to find out how to write it. A Keyboard Maestro click shortcut is doing it for me until I have the time for that. It does still seem an obvious candidate for a native menu item/shortcut.

Keeping track of a glyph’s history is a task for a versioning system. See the Backuper plug-in in the Plugin Manager.

Piggybacking on an old post. I too, yearn for this future. Having worked a lot in Photoshop in the past, ⌘J creates a copied layer in a jiffy. (Alas, ⌘J is already occupied.)
I think it’s a pretty basic feature, having a shortcut command to create a new layer. If it is overused is up to the user in my opinion. Would save some time, and give some peace of mind having to click less :slight_smile:
If it was added to Preferences>Shortcuts, I’d be very grateful!

The Freemix scripts (installable from the Plugin Manager) contain the Make Backup Layer script. You can assign a shortcut to it.

(As well as Remove Backup Layers to get rid of all backup layers of the current glyph.)

1 Like