Copy lowercase to uppercase

Hi im trying to create a font where upper and lowercase both have the same characters, i got the lowercase all in place with the kerning etc but is there anyway i can assign these characters including the kerning to the uppercase without having to copy and paste every character by hand?

thanks in advance

Glyph > Add Glyphs… and type this recipe:

a=A
adieresis=Adieresis
aacute=Aacute
b=B
c=C
cacute=Cacute

… and so on. Basically lowercasename=uppercasename. Glyphs will then create component copies. See the handbook for details, or the tutorial about recipes.

Thanks for the fast response!

I’m on glyphs mini 2.01, i only have Glyph > New Glyph but i cant type any recipes, not to worry though. I already fixed it, i just selected the uppercase characters and added the components from the lowercase. Now i’m having new troubles, i cant seem to find where to add ligatures. Can you help me?

Thanks in advance

Ligatures are specified by their glyph name firstglyph_secondglyph. This is covered in the handbook.

thanks for the help!

For next time, in Georg’s script repository there is a script to do this:

1 Like

The new version of Glyphs Mini I uploaded yesterday (it is a cutting edge version still) will automatically double the uppercase if the the lowercase are missing.

1 Like

That seems to have worked! followed those instructions closely. Why did the fix it, was it a refresh issue?

1 Like

Yes. The font caches are maddening at times.

1 Like

I’m doing a customization of an existing font, and basically all lowercases should be replaced by uppercases. I will need to export it to all existing formats (OTF, WOFF etc) so I have no idea of an opentype script will do the job. Thank you.

I don’t know what an opentype script is, but i assume you want to create an all-caps font. There’s a tutorial about it:

Thanks Mekkablue! (I thought certain code would only work in OTF files)

You mean in OTF in contrast to what? To WOFF or TTF? The WOFF is only a compression of the original OTF or TTF font. And the only difference between those two are the outline format. (There was a less capable TrueType format a lot of years ago. It is the basis to what we use today).