Copying comma-separated glyph names from edit window

It’s convenient that, in Font view with multiple glyphs selected, the contextual menu offers different format choices for copying the glyph names (comma-separated, slashed, etc.).
Is there any reason that that convenience can’t also be available in the Edit view with multiple glyphs selected? Presently there’s only one copy names item and it produces a slashed list.

Going into a submenu is tedious, and in the Edit view, the assumption is that you want to quickly copy and paste the glyph names for pasting into another Edit view (e.g. between upright and italic).

Which other option do you need and for what?

Comma-separated is what I was missing in this situation. Which was: I wanted to try out an alternative design solution to terminals in certain caps, in a font which relies on parameter filters. So I typed up the caps in an edit window, winnowed the string down to the letters I wanted to change, then selected them all and duplicated them so I had *.001 glyphs to mess around with in order to have side-by-side comparisons. But then I realized I had to include the new glyphs in the “include” statement in the parameter filter, which requires a comma-separated list.

In retrospect, a more effective and more often-used feature request would be the ability to select text in an edit window and issue a command to return to the font window with those glyphs selected. Is that possible?

In retrospect, a more effective and more often-used feature request would be the ability to select text in an edit window and issue a command to return to the font window with those glyphs selected. Is that possible?

Something like this?

f = Glyphs.font
if f.currentTab:
	selectedGlyphs = []
	for l in f.selectedLayers:
		selectedGlyphs.append(l.parent)
	if selectedGlyphs:
		f.selection = selectedGlyphs
		f.currentTab = f.fontView
2 Likes

Why yes, something exactly like that. Thanks! :smile: