[Crash] When using pencil tool (2.4.1)

Just hold and draw a complex shape without letting go of the mouse. The app will crash and afterwards there won’t be neither a report window nor it will automatically reopen last window. It’s as if the app simply quits.

Which version and build number? 2.4.2, 1043?

2.4.1, 983

Can you try again in the latest cutting edge version? This may be fixed already, I could not reproduce it in 1043.

It’s fine.

Hi, I’m also having similar issues. When drawing with the pencil tool by holding the mouse button down to draw a complete shape (e.g. an “R”), then it crashes at times. I’m using 2.4.2 (1045). Thanks.

Did you send a crash report (the one that comes up when you restart the app)?

Just replicated the issue (tried drawing an R again) and just sent the crash report to Apple, as it instructed. Is there anything else I can do, or is the pencil tool not stable right now? Thanks.

The crash report to send is the one that appears when you restart Glyphs after a crash. More info on reporting crashes is here: https://glyphsapp.com/tutorials/crashes

Thanks much, I wondered if there was another one for the app… but this is what I get, and when I click “Reopen”, Glyphs app does open, but it does not pop up with a crash report window for the app. It just simply reopens the file.

Can you send the ‘Report…’ manually?

Sure… my apologies, but how exactly do I send it manually?

Click the Report button and copy paste be content of the dialog.

Got it, here it is (in pdf file because it’s long):

pencil_tool_crash_report.pdf (132.0 KB)

Could I ask for one more thing. Could you do a screen recording that shows how you produce the crash?

Yes, I’m actually trying to now but (good news?) is that I have not been able to replicate it… this morning it crashed 3 or 4 times while trying similar drawing actions, and since i’ve tried to screen record it, it has worked each time… i’ve probably tried around 10 times already.

Will try again later and send if it occurs again. Thanks.

Hi Georg… well, I have a screen recording now (attached in zip file). Thanks much for taking a look. If you need something else, let me know.

pencil_crash_glyphs.mov.zip (2.1 MB)

Cannot reproduce it in 2.4.3.

It’s spotty. Sometimes it crashes, other times it doesn’t. I could draw a few characters and it work well. And then the next day draw one or two characters and it will repeatedly crash while in the middle of drawing.

What exact version do you have (I need to four digit number)?