Create a Master from an Instance

You can add a "Regular" layer, and set the interpolation position by adding {weight,width,custom} to the name. We will add an tutorial, soon.
1 Like

I must omit I would find an ā€˜make master from instanceā€™ also quiet pleasing. One could i.e. also use the extrapolation to be set as a basis for the new (bolder or lighter) master, without frizzling ā€¦ btw. looking forward to the update, looks amazing so far!

To use an instance as a new master, you can:

Ā· in Glyphs 2, do File > Generate Instances / in Glyphs 1, do Font > Generate Instances
Ā· in your MM font, go to Font Info > Masters
Ā· using the + button in the lower left, do Add Other Font

1 Like

Late to this conversation but Iā€™d also like to shout out for incomplete masters!

The latest beta of Glyphs 2 has a much better ways of dealing with this problem. It is called "brace trick" (like the "bracket trick"). You can add extra "masters" per glyph. We will explain this with a tutorial, soon.

What you do its to add another layer, give it a name and add the interpolation values in braces. e.g: ā€œRegular {100,300,0}ā€.

Very cool. Is it possible to sort glyphs with braced layers? Theyā€™re exceptional cases but over a large set Iā€™d anticipate losing a fewā€¦

Iā€™m still clinging to 10.6.8 but this might finally push me over the edge :wink:

Thanks Tim!

couple of things stopping me form working G2 completely right nowā€¦ so Iā€™m still using the G1 bracket tricks, a question though:

How do I deal with component glyphs and bracket glyphs (G1 style)? i.e. take the simple case of an e, with a Regular (80) and Bold (230), then a Bold [200], what to do about eacute, egrave etc?

If they are compound glyphs, they will change automatically. But don't take my word for it, just try it.

mekkablue
It didnā€™t change in the preview panel, so I thought there was a problem - but on export the bracketed glyph does show up. Itā€™s a tricky way to workaround this problem, since any bracketed glyph I use wonā€™t show the correct glyph in the text view, but only in the preview at the bottom. I hope the new bracket method is better!

The Preview Area cannot preview everything, it is really just intended for a quick instance preview. That is one of the reasons we encourage using the Adobe Fonts folder:
http://www.glyphsapp.com/tutorials/testing-your-fonts-in-adobe-apps

The bracketed glyphs should show up in the preview string. I will have a look.
What exactly is the problem? The edit view does not show instances, but only the masters or layers you choose to display. If you switch to the bracket layer, it will show you the bracket layer.
In G1, The bracketed glyph is not showing up in the component glyphs that this glyph appears in, at the Preview panel: i.e. eacute is showing the incorrect e. In the final export it is correct though.

The preview panel does not show the nested bracket glyphs but tr final font should be correct.

You can use this script I hacked from Mekkablue's which will create a new tab that contains glyphs with layers with the search string. i.e. if you search for "{" it will show all the glyphs with layers containing "{" then you can Copy Glyph Names and create a List Filter.

v cool and thanks!

Once Iā€™m not quite so up against it with actual drawing Iā€™m looking forward to diving into filters.

Really looking forward to this feature. Itā€™s a killer feature, look forward to the tutorial.

1 Like