Custom ligatures and lenited consonants in old gaelic text

Looking at fonts from Ireland, the dot should not be on the ascender of the b, but preferably on the bowl. So the Apple keyboard shown above has a design bug. Do you agree Irish folks?

I think this is a very good question to bring up. And what about d, f, h, t? Otherwise always centered, I assume? Can someone give reliable advice on what is acceptable in Gaelic dotted letter designs? Then I can put together a ‘Localize Your Font’ tutorial.

This is correct. The dot is over the bowl or otherwise optically centered over the letter. It is never centered over the ascender. See below —

https://s28.postimg.org/4ahlqu80t/seimhus.png

http://www.rte.ie/centuryireland//images/uploads/content/1916-CnG-ClaidheamhSoluis1.jpg

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/77/dd/d5/77ddd5924e52d315ca151e1b55ef2152.jpg

Is it just these letters? What about, e.g., h? Does it not exist in Gaelic?

No, it’s just used for those consonants. It represents h in certain situations. For example teach (house) could be written as teaċ. The vowels can have fadas (acute accents).

H does exist in Irish, The SĂ©imhĂș (dot) is mainly used as a replacement for h when a word is modified, eg: bean (woman) an bhean or an ឃean (the woman).

The old alphabet had only 18 letters —
a b c d e f g h i l m n o p r s t u
— although some of the other latin characters now appear in imported words.

Hope that makes sense.

Just to extend upon that, this shows the contrast between old and modern Irish

I live in a Gaeltacht area of native Irish speakers and the lenited consonants are still in use.

No-one is questioning if they are actually in use. The question is, if one should add them to contemporary fonts that aim to support Irish.

It’s a shame that it’s not part of our usual set (by “our” I mean our industry). The number of speakers is above one million, though there may be other unsupported European languages with bigger number. And for me as a British dweller, it’s double shame to not support my neighbour.

And don’t forget the Tironian et ⁊ when you support Gaelic!

Sorry for the delayed reply, it’s been a busy Christmas. Personally, I would like to see more support for Irish lenited consonants. Although they have been dropped in “standard” Irish ( which is compulsory in schools) it is still in use among native Irish speakers. The “dot” implementations in many fonts don’t conform to the traditional Irish usage — the dot is usually misplaced.

Thanks to Glyphs, I’m well progressed in developing an Irish font with traditional characters, seimhĂșs and alternates.

At the moment I have three masters, with most of the main characters and punctuation. I still have to develop numerals and other characters.

@Frode — From a commercial point of view, it’s probably not worth your time developing for a native Irish audience, much as I’d like to see it. This may improve in time, there is a thriving Gaelscoil (Irish speaking school) program which is proving popular. They are using standard Irish, however.

My interest is in preserving the old forms in a modern context — providing a modern humanist font instead of tacky uncials.

[edit] The number 7 is often used as a replacement for the & in “standard Irish”.