Custom Parameter Slant doesn't work

Hi
This is first time I’m using Custom Parameters and I don’t know what I’am doing wrong. In property I chose “Filter”, in Value I wrote string “Transformations; Slant:8; SlantCorrection:1;”. In preview nothing is happening. In exported otf file: nothing either.

Please help

To only slant was not possible. Fixed it.

Thanks. Sorry I’m rookie to forum: Can I somehow check it now or have to wait for the new cuttting edge version?

I’ll upload a new version in the next few days.

Great, Thanks a lot

Works! great! thanks a lot

I preferr to see a preview of the Custom Parameter before Exporting
This goes with my current quest;
Is it possible to run Custom Parameters on selected instances to create Oblique styles by “Cursify” Transformation Filter?
Needless to mention that Transformation Filter does not work on composite glyphs as one unit!!
For a typeface I’m working on that has 2 masters and have 6 instances;
I’m trying to figure out what is the best way to produce Oblique style for each instance;
I went back to the PDF Manual of version 1.43 and the Tutorial about Oblique… besides many topics on this forum; But could not find a clear answer.
I suppose there is a shorter way instead of creating another two OBLIQUE masters … then interpolating 6 weights of Oblique instances!!

I would still recommend two extra oblique masters. Because slanting or cursifying alone is not enough, and the necessary optical corrections cannot (all) be automated.

My metedology is like this:
When I’m working on italics I’m working with slant preview. After designing basic italic glyphs, I’m generating master instances (File > Generate Instances) and after this I’m starting to make necessary optical corrections etc.
Still, for preview method: I think that cursifying instances from Custom Parameters window would be very good and useful thing :slight_smile: that’s my opinion

I wouldn’t do it like this. Instead of fixing all of your instances, why not draw proper italic masters?

It is just my workflow.
First stage of doing italics like roman type is easier,
specially if I’m using true roman version as a “formula”.
I’m not applying it to every font, but in some cases it helped me a lot. I’m using custom parameter as any other tool.

I’m not saying that you shouldn’t use custom parameters. Just that you should not tweak the instances. Instead set up new masters and tweak them. Otherwise you need to do the tweaking of the instances all over again if you change something at the masters.

By the way in many glyphs I had to dispose Cursify filter with Slant because it gave better result of Oblique style (contrary to the tutorial)
It works fine now;
Though I’d like to know if there is a script that can run on a specific Master where all glyphs get extra width (LSB+RSB) by percentage of the original ?!

The Cursify filter relies on the stem values. By changing then slightly, you can alter the result.

The Cursify filter does not produce final results. it is a good starting point. What I sometimes do is to put the outline in the background layer, Cursify the foreground, slant the background and use the Transformation filter > Background to choose an intermediate shape.

2 Likes