Dcaron, lcaron and gcommaaccent and alternative small cap glyph

What is the best practice when working with lcaron, dcaron and gcommaaccent? Do I need a caron.alt glyph on my glyph set? And what about the gcommaccent?

Also, I have a non-descending j in my typeface, which is an alternative to the descending J. Can I build a non-descending alternative small cap J which will work as an open-type feature? How?

Thank you!

For lcaron and dcaron, you can use the caroncomb.alt glyph, for the gcommaaccent, use the commaturnedabovecomb.

The small cap J is usually designed similarly to the capital J, so unless the capital J descends below the baseline, the small cap J does not have to descend either. To make an alternate small cap glyph, call it j.sc.ss01 to put it in the stylistic alternates, and stylistic set 1 feature automatically. You can of course call it j.sc.alt and write the code yourself.

2 Likes

For the descending and non-descending Jā€™s: call one of them j.ss01 J.sso1 j.sc.ss01 and you can automate code. The latter could also be j.ss01.sc depending on the order of your features. But usually, small cap features come before stylistic sets.

2 Likes

Will do that! Thanks!

Thanks, Fredrik!

1 Like

For dcaron.sc you need regular caron! This is a common mistake in many fonts to build small cap dcaron like this: Dā€™, but it is absolutely wrong. Only Lcaron and lcaron.sc needs the alternative caron speaking of upper case letter forms.

3 Likes