Deleting last path moves components

Converting a (decomposed) glyph from paths to components, I delete paths and then add components. So far so good. But when I get to the last path:

Screenshot 2022-01-19 at 13.58.23

and I hit delete:

Screenshot 2022-01-19 at 13.58.44

I’ve tried locking the components, disabling automatic alignment, etc. but I can’t seem to stop it from happening.

If I disable Automatic Alignment (in Font Info → Other), then this this does not happen.

Still, it might be possible to detect these cases and not enable Automatic Alignment as soon as it is available to ease the transition from manual paths to a composite glyph.

Side note: You can select paths in Edit View and choose Component from Selection from the context menu.

You can select paths in Edit View and choose Component from Selection from the context menu.

Wow, it finds the relevant component for you. Holy cow that’s clever. Wait, that does the opposite of what I want - updates the component glyph with the paths, then replaces the paths with the component. I just want to replace the paths with the component glyph.

If the component glyph already exists, then yes, delete the path and insert the component.

Or better, rearrange the components in such a way that you can profit from automatic alignment. In the first screenshot, they are in the wrong order: the alef is on the right and therefore needs to come first, and then the seen.

You can use the “Use existing” button. That way a component with the hopefully correctly guessed name is added. But if you build a glyphs that has components defined in the GlyphData, you could just try “Glyph > Create Composite”. That will add all the default components.