Does Use Extension Kerning work in v3?

Hi there,

we’ve successfully exported different versions of an OTVar font from Glyphs 2 with “Use Extension Kerning” enabled in Font Info > Font > Custom Parameters. However, Glyphs 3 doesn’t complete the export anymore. We get a subtable overflow in the GPOS table. So it seems the parameter doesn’t have an effect anymore. Unfortunately, we can’t remove kerning pairs from the project … which would, of course, solve the export problem. Would you please take a look? That would be wonderful. :slight_smile:

Congratulations to the new version! Great job!

Oh, there’s also a slight typo in the error message. :slight_smile:


Can you send me the .glyphs file? (as a dropbox link in a private message or by email to support at this domain).

I’m really sorry, but I’m not allowed to do this due to a confidentiality agreement. I’ll try to reproduce the error with an open source font and report back.

You could use the Disguiser on the font and change all font names.

I’ll take a look tomorrow, Georg. Thank you for your swift reply. :slight_smile:

Alex, if it’s easier/safer for you, sending only the feature code for the ‘kern’ feature could help as well. We have a new feature compiler in Glyphs 3 and some glitches for the edge cases like yours are to be expected.

To get the ‘kern’ feature code, you’ll have to look into the features.fea file in the Glyphs Temp folder for your font. Simply go to the Script menu -> Open Script Folder. In Finder, next to the Script folder you will see the Temp folder with a subfolder for your font. Inside it, you’ll find the features.fea file.

You could send the whole feature file, but if your font has some sensitive feature code you’d rather not share, the ‘kern’ feature alone should be enough. Just find the

feature kern {
    # lots of stuff in here
} kern;

part and send only that. Thanks in advance!

And the file “GlyphNames” from the same folder.

Thank you, Grzegorz. I haven’t had time this morning to look into this, but I’ll make sure to send some files later. :slight_smile:

I’ve sent some files to support (at) glyphsapp (dot) com, pointing at this thread. I hope these will help you to get to the bottom of the issue. :slight_smile:

Hi Alex, just wanna let you know we’re working on a fix. Please, bear with us :slight_smile:

Thank you for the update. :slight_smile:

Thank you, Grzegorz. The font seems to export fine in the latest cutting edge version (3.0.2, 3044). I think you’re on a good path to a solution. :slight_smile:

That is very strange. I still get that error with the files you’ve sent us on 3044. But if it works on your side, that’s great! Fixed it anyway, so the next update should work for certain.

FWIW, the upcoming updates should improve how kerning data is stored in the font binary in general, so issues like yours shouldn’t happen in the future. That is, unless you go really crazy with the amount of kerning pairs :slight_smile:

Ah, I didn’t try it with the “disguised” font, but with the original one. Though there shouldn’t be a difference in the amount of kerning classes and individual kerning pairs. I’ll have a second look later this week, when I have more time. Thank you again. :slight_smile: