Double click component

How would you want to access the original glyph of a component?

• Just double click (like now)
  • Double click with modifier keys (e.g. Cmd-Opt)

0 voters

Reasoning: especially new users open the original glyph accidentally.

I admit my intuitive answer is double-clicking like now, as this is what I have got used to over the past years. It is true, though, that I often open up the original glyph by mistake, which is quite an annoyance.

I might also add that, in this vein, an improvement of this process in italics is extremely necessary. If I want to open a component’s base glyph by double-clicking, in italic masters, this is often impossible, as double-clicking the component instead jumps to the next glyph in the text view. I hope what I’m outlining is clear.

5 Likes

If you have ever taught anyone Glyphs, you already know that double click with some modifier key is the right way whenever you see the perplexed expression of first-time users when they ACCIDENTALLY double-click on the component. Then they don’t know what to do or, even worse, modify the original glyph oblivious of the mistake.

I think a survey with the people who are in the forum and does not include those students/newbies or people who are not in the forum is bad for data gathering.

Because we have used the double click forever we got used to it, but whenever I use Glyphs I always try to put myself in the first-time user position and I still remember how disconcerting was for me the double-click behavior. And the fact that I got used to it doesn’t mean that it works.
I also got used to Adobe illustrator’s bezier curves! (here I’m lying).

2 Likes

Double click is straightforward and intuitive; modifier keys require tutorials and memorizing. Isn’t that by far worse for both new and old users? Literally everything is prone to accidental clicks and if a new user is confused after entering the component, they are just not familiar with Glyphs yet anyway.

In my opinion, the concept of double-clicking is relatively straightforward and doesn’t require much time to learn. It’s possible that new users might find it surprising at first, but it’s a minor hurdle that can be easily overcome. Learning new software can be full of surprises, so it’s important to keep an open mind and a willingness to adapt.

It’s worth noting that some aspects of using a computer, such as the concept of a mouse, might not seem intuitive at first glance. However, with practice, these concepts become second nature. That being said, modifiers can add complexity to the process, which can be frustrating for users of any level.

I’ll ditto Sebastian’s comments, especially the difficulties in italics. I’d also like to add and suggest easier ways to access corner components.

While not the same as a traditional component, double-clicking on a corner component doesn’t open that corner component (there is probably a good reason for that) but just imagining if the double-click using cmd-opt would solve that too…and it wouldn’t because then that could lead to accidental adding handles.

What I’d like to suggest is the addition of a two-finger click to bring up the extra menu options so in line with to Lock Component and Show all glyphs containing this component perhaps there is an Edit Component option. This would work for all component types.

I use doube-click a lot for selecting a path.
When I temporarily use an other glyph in the same layer this often produces confusion.
That happens more often than I actively want to jump into a component’s original glyph.
I voted for “… with modifier key.”

1 Like

Second that :woman_shrugging:t2: