Duplicate .locl Glyphs issue

Hey guys, I’m currently trying to export a multilingual version of Noto Sans which combines multiple languages into one file. However, when exporting I keep getting an error message of ‘duplicate glyphs’… it appears some identical glyphs with .locl appear in the file e.g glyph u21413 & u21413.locl both exist.

Can anyone tell me what the purpose of the .locl extension is? And whether I can just delete all glyphs with .locl extension?

Cheers,
James.

Both glyphs should be able to be in the font at the same time. What is the exact error message?

Some local communities have certain preferences how some letters look like. But there is only one unicode for it.

Hi Georg, I have had multiple error messages, the lastest error messages are attached as images. To give you some context I am currently trying to combine multiple NOTO Sans files into a single file, Including CJK (Which is obviously huge) as well as other languages.

Telling from the screenshot: That is the same glyph twice. You can have uni3042 only once. If you need both, you would need to change glyph info of one of them.

But the problem at hand is that you need to do a glyph set normalization before merging. Glyph > Update Glyph Info helps you with that.

Thank you Mekka! Okay in which case, I am currently merging several Noto Scripts as well as CJK. Does this mean I will need to run ‘update glyphs info’ everytime I want to drop a new script into the file?
There are too many duplicates to go through them one by one, as well as having to navigate each Unicode fault.

Best,
James

How do you merge?

literally ‘copy paste’

probably going to get slaughtered here hahaha

No, that’s okay. Just make sure that both files follow the same glyph name convention, otherwise you risk ending up with the same glyph twice.

Updating glyph info should reset the glyph names. And, you can create a list filter with all glyph names of the target font, and disable or deselect all those glyphs in the source font before copying.

Ah amazing! How do I use list filter? Is there a tutorial on this?

Have ran ‘update glyph info’ - which then highlights in grey a plethora of glyphs… does this mean ALL of these glyphs are duplicates? Because a lot of them are visually different.

Is there a quick way for me to fix this issue, or should I be deleting all grey highlighted glyphs?

No, this means that they have been changed.

1 Like