Dynamic links in Glyphs?

Hello, is there any possibility of creating something like a dynamic link functionality? As in, clicking on a link would, for example, open a new tab with a certain glyph. Or is there some other way this can be scripted? This would be immensely useful for fontbakery checks: Clicking on a link generated by a check taking you directly to the glyph in question in Glyphs.

Thanks!

2 Likes

That should be doable.

How would you like to handle cases in which multiple fonts are open at the same time? Should the URL have a file path to the Glyphs file and a glyphs parameter or do you prefer no file path, always using the frontmost window?

Granular control would, I think, be the best ā€“ in case no parameter is given, the frontmost font can be used, of course.

Parameters I think are important:

• glyph
  • layer/master/filename ā€“ currently, I am using the filename parameter of the fontbakery check to automatically find the associated master (via filename CPs set in the instances)
  • node/segment coordinate(s) ā€“ for setting the selection state of the node(s)/segment(s) in question
  • font
  • description text, or something like a user data dictionary, for things like check description/category/result, etc.

We are planing to integrate fontBakery into Glyphs. So putting too much effort into making stuff to make it work from the outside might not be worth it. I see a use case for showing a specific glyph, but the node and description (what should happen with it) might be too much.

If you have a script running outside of Glyphs, you have more control with this: GlyphsSDK/Glyphs remote scripts at Glyphs3 Ā· schriftgestalt/GlyphsSDK Ā· GitHub

1 Like

Great news! I had no idea. Oh well, Iā€™m enjoying the practice. Thanks for the heads up.