Edieresis' witdth differs from that of the base glyph e

Any clue why in interpolations sometimes a compound character like a letter with an accent has a different width that the base character?
For instance:

Warning: Width of glyph edieresis: 472 differs from that of the base glyph e: 473 for font FlechaM-Bold.
Warning: Width of glyph emacron: 472 differs from that of the base glyph e: 473 for font FlechaM-Bold.
Warning: Width of glyph ebreve: 472 differs from that of the base glyph e: 473 for font FlechaM-Bold.
Warning: Width of glyph edotaccent: 472 differs from that of the base glyph e: 473 for font FlechaM-Bold.
Warning: Width of glyph jcircumflex: 253 differs from that of the base glyph j: 254 for font FlechaM-Bold.

Auto aligned?

yes!

And where do you get these measurement? In an interpolated instance?

Yes it is an interpolated instance. Between two masters that have a ll measurements correct.

The axis has 3 weight masters (one intermediate master between the extreme masters).
Don’t know if it’s a coincidence or not, but this differences seem to be happening between the Regular master and the Black master, and not between the Light master and the Regular master.

I just disabled the master that should not effect the intances, and some of the error disapeared, but there are still some. Doesn’t make sense because all mastera have correct values.

It also doesn’t make sense that masters that should not effect an instance, have an effect on it. I have noticed this before, so I always turn off the masters that shouldn’t be used.

Can you send me that file?

That was a very interesting rounding error. Actually two of them in succession. The instance would result in a with of 472.5. Rounding that results in 473. But the glyphs with components are aligned once again but the scale of the components became 0.9999999999996. Multiplying that with the width, resulted in 472.49999999999923 and that rounds to 472.

1 Like