Editing across masters

Hi,
is there a way to edit sidebearings of a glyph across all masters?
and paste component/path to all masters of a glyph?
i wish there was a checkbox like “Add to all masters” in “Add Component” window.
Side Question: is there a way to delete glyph contents not the glyph itself?
thanks

is there a way to edit sidebearings of a glyph across all masters?

Can you explain what you are trying to do?

i wish there was a checkbox like “Add to all masters” in “Add Component” window.

Good idea

is there a way to delete glyph contents not the glyph itself?

In font view, select the glyphs and run “Edit > Clear”.

i making different weight of my font, its arabic, so sidebearings of glyphs like medi forms is always zero! im trying to select all the medi forms for example and set all the sidebearing to zero across all masters, instead of going through every each master and set them to zero!
also my font uses a lot of components that repeats in many glyphs, like arabic dots. so i made different forms of dots in separated glyphs, and i wish there was a way to select every corresponding glyph and paste the component across all of the masters!

Then you should use metrics keys. Have a look in the handbook.
And you should always add a bit overlap so that the side bearing is -20 or so.

oh thanks! i didnt know about metric keys.
but, any idea for pasting component across masters? any script?

Currently, best is to do it in one master, select and copy the components, then step through masters (Cmd-1,2,3…) and paste in each master.

If you have to do this a lot, consider a small script.

yes, I have been doing this a lot like a few hundred times since yesterday! :grin: so it would be great if you tell me how to write the script.

Scripting is learnable in an afternoon. Start here:
https://glyphsapp.com/tutorials/scripting-glyphs-part-1

Not on my Mac now, will paste sample code later for you to customize.

1 Like

hi again i read two first parts of scripting tutorial, bud still cant think of any way to copy and paste a component over glyphs master, can you please write that sample code for me?

after some research, i found 2 very useful scripts from you that is perfectly what i was looking for, i wonder why you didnt mention those scripts before! “Find and Replace components” and “Sync Components Across masters”!
Find and replace components works perfect! but i have an issue with sync across masters.
here is what i do, i add a component in a master of a glyph, and i run “sync components” i expect that the script copy and paste the new component i added across all the master, and indeed it does! but every component in that glyph just jumps around anywhere in the modified masters! i thought automatic alignment is the problem, so i turned that off for every component, but it didnt fixed anything!

Funny you mention that. I had forgotten about and rediscovered the Sync script myself. Had not needed/used it in a while. And I rediscovered it after I had started reprogramming the same algorithm, following up on your request. Duh.

:grin::grin: funny
but do you have any idea how i can fix that issue?

Possible the script expects automatic alignment on.

i wish there was a way to fix this, this script is very helpful for me if it worked properly.

I had a look at the script. It should work now. (I’m not sure if it still does what was originally intended.)

you changed the file? i should re-download it?

If you have manually downloaded the scripts, you need to do it again. If you used git, pull the repository.

There even is a script for pulling. :innocent: the readme explains it: GitHub - mekkablue/Glyphs-Scripts: Python scripts for the Glyphs font editor

im not familiar with “pulling” term! can you explain what i means?

Please take a few minutes and read through one of the git introductions, e.g. this one here: