Errors during testing CompareFamily (in AFDKO)

Hello! I’m finishing font and decided to test font according with Miguel Sousa recommendations

After complete the “CompareFamily (in AFDKO)” test some errors and warnings occured. Please help me figure it out and how to fix it.

Some Errors:

Single Face Test 11: Check that BASE table exists, and has reasonable values
Error: font Artnoova-Regular does not have a BASE table. This is necessary for users who are editing in a different script than the font is designed for.`

Single Face Test 34: Check that the difference between numbers in blue value pairs meet the requirement.
Error: The BlueValues pair have distance greater than the maximum limit.
Font: Artnoova-Regular
Pairs: -33 0
Distance (33) is greater than 1/BlueScale (27.03)
BlueValues: [-33, 0, 1024, 1048, 1440, 1473, 1496, 1529]

Pairs: 1440 1473

Pairs: 1496 1529

Family Test 11: Check that Mac and Windows menu names differ for all but base font, and are the same for the base font.
Error: The Mac and Windows Compatible Names for the regular face of a style-linked group should be the same. Font Artnoova-Regular
Mac Compatible Name: Artnoova Regular
Windows Compatible Name: Artnoova

Warnings:

Single Face Test 15: Warn if Font BBox x/y coordinates are improbable, or differ between head table and CFF.
The font bounding box in the hhea table ‘(-1346, -434, 2271, 1877)’ differs from that in the CFF table ‘[-340, -434, 2271, 1877]’. Artnoova-Regular.

Single Face Test 16: Check values of Ascender and Descender vs em-square.
Warning: OS/2 table usWinDescent field ‘-552’ is not the same as the font bounding box y min ‘-434’. Artnoova-Regular
Warning: OS/2 table usWinAscent field ‘1496’ is not the same as the font bounding box y max ‘1877’. Artnoova-Regular

Single Face Test 26: Glyph name checks.
Warning. Font uses working name ‘Gcommaaccent’ rather than Adobe final name ‘uni0122’. Artnoova-Regular
Warning. Glyph name ‘Jacute’ is neither in the AGD, nor a ‘uni’ name, and can’t be mapped to a Unicode value. Artnoova-Regular
Warning. Font uses working name ‘Kcommaaccent’ rather than Adobe final name ‘uni0136’. Artnoova-Regular
Warning. Font uses working name ‘Lcommaaccent’ rather than Adobe final name ‘uni013B’. Artnoova-Regular
Warning. Font uses working name ‘Ncommaaccent’ rather than Adobe final name ‘uni0145’. Artnoova-Regular
Warning. Font uses working name ‘Rcommaaccent’ rather than Adobe final name ‘uni0156’. Artnoova-Regular
Warning. Font uses working name ‘Scedilla’ rather than Adobe final name ‘uni015E’. Artnoova-Regular
Warning. Font uses working name ‘Scommaaccent’ rather than Adobe final name ‘uni0218’. Artnoova-Regular
Warning. Font uses working name ‘gcommaaccent’ rather than Adobe final name ‘uni0123’. Artnoova-Regular
Warning. Glyph name ‘jacute’ is neither in the AGD, nor a ‘uni’ name, and can’t be mapped to a Unicode value. Artnoova-Regular

Single Face Test 23: Warn if any accented glyphs have a width different than the base glyph.
Warning: Width of glyph Oslash: 1686 differs from that of the base glyph O: 1646 for font Artnoova-Regular.
Warning: Width of glyph dcaron: 1257 differs from that of the base glyph d: 1177 for font Artnoova-Regular.
Warning: Width of glyph iacute: 557 differs from that of the base glyph i: 490 for font Artnoova-Regular.
Warning: Width of glyph icircumflex: 557 differs from that of the base glyph i: 490 for font Artnoova-Regular.
Warning: Width of glyph idieresis: 557 differs from that of the base glyph i: 490 for font Artnoova-Regular.
Warning: Width of glyph igrave: 557 differs from that of the base glyph i: 490 for font Artnoova-Regular.
Warning: Width of glyph imacron: 557 differs from that of the base glyph i: 490 for font Artnoova-Regular.

About the Blue Values: Please read the Handbook chapter about hinting, and the blueScale and blueShift entries in the Appendix.

About the BBox: Please read the Vertical Metrics tutorial: https://www.glyphsapp.com/tutorials/vertical-metrics

About the glyph names: Are you using custom naming? If you do, you will have to know what you are doing. If you disable it in File > Font Info > Other Settings, Glyphs will take care of the renaming.

About ‘Single Face Test 23: Warn if any accented glyphs have a width different than the base glyph’: If these occurrences really are unintentional, please read about automatic alignment in the handbook.

Thank you. I will study. BTW glyph names is OFF

The check are mostly meant for the standards of the internal Adobe font production. So not all of them are more recommendations then errors.

The names are fine and where in use by adobe but in some point they desiccated to use the uni-names instead. So the names are fine.

Thanks6 Georg. I think the same. Because I’ve tested Open Sans also and there was same errors and warnings excerpt warning related to BBox: “The font bounding box in the hhea table ‘(-1346, -434, 2271, 1877)’ differs from that in the CFF table ‘[-340, -434, 2271, 1877]’. Artnoova-Regular.”

Btw, how much important this warnings? I tested my font with different soft on mac, windows and everything looks good. No errors was noticed

Read the warnings and see if they point you to something unintentional. Otherwise, do your own testing. Test in real apps, like in Adobe apps and Word on Windows. If it works, it works

1 Like