commaaccent
commaaccent.case
slash.case
backslash.case
bracketleft.case
bracketright.case
braceleft.case
braceright.case

Any idea why is Glyphs is leaving those out? How can I correct this?

Also there was a new glyph added, which wasn’t in the project file:
_1011 (no Unicode)

What is that and why it’s there?

could you send me the .glyphs and the .otf file?

Were the glyphs missing or empty?
If empty: check for master compatibility. And do not forget about the bracket layers if you have any.
If missing: Some of these glyphs get renamed at export. I converted your list to production glyph names using the built-in system services:

uni021B.smcp
uni1E9E
uni2117
uni2153
uni2154
uni20B1
rupee
uni20AA
uni0326
uni0326.case
slash.case
backslash.case
bracketleft.case
bracketright.case
braceleft.case
braceright.case

A-ha, you’re right, the glyphs were just renamed. But I noticed that the renaming goes for exported UFOs too. Please tell me there’s a way to turn this feature off!

How about the mystery glyph? Seems harmless but unnecessary. I noticed that with different export times, it changes its name: _1011, _1013, …

The change of names in ufos depends on the “don’t use nice name setting” in font info. Because a lot of the nice names are not compatible in most ufo tools.

The mystery glyph is probably a renamed unused glyph. Do you have a “newGlyph” in your font? Or are you using a glyph for components only? Like a serif etc. Switch them to non-exporting.

When using the ‘‘Generate Glyphs’’ feature will glyphs including
Odieresis,Ograve,Oslash be usable or are they only screen views of the unicode examples and do they need to be redrawn.

Regards

Vividi

Usually “Generate Glyphs” will try to build the glyphs with components. If you have am “O” and a “dieresis”, it will use them to build the “Odieresis”. Components are drawn in grey. If you don’t have the needed glyphs, it will leave them empty and show a grey dummy glyph. But if the glyphs are black in Font View, you are find.

Hi Georg

‘‘If you don’t have the needed glyphs, it will leave them empty and show a grey dummy glyph’’.

Could you advise how to build a black version using the grey dummy glyph as a visual reference for a new font.

Vividi

The grey dummy glyph is a square that says, ‘Missing base glyph’ or ‘Empty base glyph’. You want to build a font with those? Why?

@Vividi
Can you post a screenshot of your dummy glyphs. Just to make sure we speak about the same thing.

mekkablue

I would like to use the grey image as a starting point for my glyphs but as soon as I try to draw some bezier paths I no longer see any grey outlined glyph below.

Feature Request : Is it possible to have a grey preview retained and still draw a new black glyph inside a bounding box.

Regards

Vividi

I don’t think it is a good idea to use Lucida Grande as a basis for a new design.
If you need some inspiration, use something like http://typecooker.com or print some samples and sketch over it. And if you just need to check how a glyph is constructed, click the small arrow in the info box and it will show the glyph in UnicodeChecker, a very useful, free tool.

Were and how can I add a screen shot.

The grey letter you see is from the system font, Lucida Grande, it is there just for reference, so you don’t accidentally draw, e.g., an x into an o.

If you want to use another font as ‘starting point’, open it and assign your font’s background to it: Layer > Assign Background.

For instance by dragging and dropping. But there are many ways to add an image. Please read the manual. It is covered in detail there.

If you want to know more about sketching, try this:
http://www.glyphsapp.com/tutorials/sketching

To Georg,

I don’t want to use Lucida Grande, I only need to see the grey preview of the generated unicode character it may just be easier
to print out what I see on screen then create new base glyphs for each one.

Regards

Vividi

I’m still not sure what you mean by “create new base glyphs for each one.”

“create new base glyphs for each one.”

I would need to new create glyphs for the generated unicode characters as in the Working with Diacritics video and see how to set up accented letters.

‘‘It’s easy and intuitive’’ ?

Vividi