Exporting Mac name table

Hello,

I am exporting fonts from Glyphs 3.2 (3192) and I set the CP “Export Mac Name Table Entries” to true. The exported fonts however are missing NID’s 0, 3, 7, 8 & 13.
Am I missing something?

Those name ids where not exported for some time.
Do you have a situation where those ids would be needed?

It’s about backwards compatibility, the original fonts had them so the modified should have them as well. I just assumed the CP mirrors all the NID’s it can from MS to Mac.

So there is no specific make or brake situation. I was just wondering.

You can add them with a Name Table Entry parameter (see the documentation in Font Info), but I advise against it.

As I said, this is about a compatibility issue, not a best-practice case.
The Name Table Entry parameter would support everything except NID 3 according to its tooltip.

Anyways, I was just curious what this was about and if there is a quick fix for that.

I will just fix it in post-processing in the binaries.

I was comparing some old exports with new ones and I noticed the Mac Name table entries were completely missing. Could you tell me why this decision was made and when was this change implemented? I think I heard the Mac entries were obsolete in most cases, but I’ve never done the research. Thank you!

If you really want to export them, you can add a custom parameter “Export Mac Name Table Entries” to Font Info > Font. You should only ever want to do this for compatibility reasons, it is not necessary anymore nowadays and generally discouraged.

Reference discussion: [builder] move the mac names specific to VF to platform 3? · Issue #469 · googlefonts/gftools · GitHub

If you do not have a very good reason, do not add them. They are not necessary.