Exporting single stroke as non closed paths

What CAD app do you use?

You can use the same script right from Glyphs (might need some tweaking (but Iā€™m happy to help with this as Iā€™m currently working on the robofab support anyway)).

Really? Hereā€™s one of the scripts I have that does this (written by Jeremy Mickel):

from mojo.UI import SpaceCenterToPDF

import datetime
now = datetime.datetime.now()
timestamp = now.strftime("14%m%d_%H%M%S")

f = CurrentFont()

pdfname = f.info.familyName + "-" + f.info.styleName + "_" + timestamp + ".pdf"

filepath = "/Users/marksair/Desktop/"

pdfpath = str(filepath) + str(pdfname)

SpaceCenterToPDF(str(pdfpath))

print "done" + " " +  str(pdfname) 

It relies on something from the Robofont API (mojo.UI), SpaceCenterToPDF. Itā€™s not part of Robofab as far as I know.

In this case, it is a bit more complicated. But you could print the edit view and Save as PDF from the print dialog.

1 Like

Or a bit more flexible: write a drawbot script. That can write svg and pdf. It allows for fine control over placement and size.

1 Like

Thatā€™s a pretty simple. Although I notice that each path has two nodes at the start instead of one. So, I guess heā€™d still have some clean up to do.

ACAD export to library as .shx font.

I do not use Robofont. Scripting for Glyphs is beyond my coding skills. It would be really helpful if you could apply the script for Glyphs.

There is a script in my GitHub repository, App > Print Window, that does just that. I added a Open PDF in Illustrator to my PDF menu (can be done with Automator), so I can open the PDf directly in AI.

What is your workflow with the odd going forward?
I had a look at the .shx specs. It is not so difficult and I might have something rough tomorrow.

@GeorgSeifert, @mekkablue of course, the print option does exacly what I need. Shame, I did not try it before. Maybe I asked a wrong question and was confused with the strokes in .otf.
ā€œMuch ado about nothingā€œ, a great master would add. Thanks a lot.

For the moment I only need to prepare lineart for cad library. The export to .shx will be done by someone else.
Well, an option for direct .shx export from Glyphs would add a distinctive advantage and higher value to your app.

Iā€™m doing some experiments with a based single stroke Master;
In order to save time by testing stroke thickens ā€¦ I draw with single lines (Open paths) Where I initially export Instances with a Custom Parameter Offset Curve; + Remove Overlap filters;
The result: empty glyphs except some glyphs that have closed circles or paths !
Did anybody experience this ?!
(Please note my aim is not to have a a sort of CNC single stroke font as discussed above )

Donā€™t check the ā€œRemove Overlapā€ checkbox in the export settings.

Perhaps an advisable read:
https://glyphsapp.com/tutorials/monoline

indispensable tutorial;
Thanks Mekkablue/ Georg