Feature request for preview instance

This could be useful to add an option to “Show only Active Instances” next to “Show All Instances” in the preview bar. When we work with a ton of instances it’s a bit of a mess.
This option could help to focus on specific instances.

6 Likes

Interesting idea. Thank you for the input!

I’ve wanted this for years but I kept forgetting to ask!

1 Like

Hey, any update on this feature?

This is already implemented. Click the eye symbol in the instance popup to select what instance you like to see.

I see, I thought there will be one click option to show&hide inactive instances. Thanks

In Glyphs 2 the active state for the instance was used in the preview panel. That was annoying as you needed to change that all the time.

I agree with you Georg, that’s why I had proposed to add an additional option just below “Show all Instances” to preview only instances with active state.

I don’t think that I’ll add that command.
You could write a very short script that syncs the active and visible state of the instances.

I’m trying to write this short script, but I don’t know how to indicate multiple instances for font.currentTab.previewInstances

How ‘all’ and ‘live’ work ?
It’s not possible to have a ‘active’ to show only active instances?

font = Glyphs.font

for instance in font.instances:
	if instance.active:
		font.currentTab.previewInstances = instance

This script shows only active instances:

for instance in Font.instances:
	instance.visible = instance.active

For me, nothing happens with your script @FlorianPircher

I see if I active an Instance in Export Panel, it return me True when I use print (instance.visible)

It works for me:

Oh I know why, I didn’t notice that I have to be in “Show all Instances” to see them.
For a mysterious reason, all instances was Hide “Show all Instances”.
Thanks @FlorianPircher

A suggestion: say you have over 100 instances. How can you preview just 10 of them? That’s a more frequent need than seeing “all or one”. In Glyphs 2, you just select a bunch and activate; in Glyphs 3, go click 90 ‘eye’ icons.

Maybe you could allow selecting multiple eye icons or perhaps add the checkbox in the info/exports window? Seems to be more reasonable than if someone would build a separate tool for such a trivial thing. Thanks!

You can use this code to only show active instances in Preview Panel.

Font = Glyphs.font

instance.visible = instance.active
1 Like

Sure, but that workflow destroys the whole point of separating Active from Visible

I’ll think about this. Until then, you need two write a script like this:

Font = Glyphs.font

activeBlock 2 # change this to select a block of 10 instances (in this case number 20–29). 

idx = 0
	instance.visible = activeBlock == idx // 10
	idx += 1
2 Likes