Font Info > Feature > generate feature automatically

I’ve noticed that as I “generate Feature automatically”.
in Liga Feature my ligatures got the wrong (I suppose) order of subs
They looks like hare below:

sub f i by fi;
sub f l by fl;
sub f f by f_f;
sub f f i by f_f_i;
sub f f l by f_f_l;

When I have started to test them in Text View (option Feature > liga is on)
fi, ff, and fl working properly, but as I type ffi and ffl Glyphs making f f_i and f f_l

I have changed the order to this below in the upper field of Font Info > Feature > generate feature automatically > lig feature menu:

sub f f i by f_f_i;
sub f f l by f_f_l;
sub f f by f_f;
sub f i by fi;
sub f l by fl;

but after this the feature lig doesn’t work at all in Text View.

What I am doing wrong?

Fixed it. Thanks

The feature preview does only work for automatically generated features. I will try to improve that soon.

Georg

Yes I see that Glyps work only with auto features.
But the question is.
Do you think, that if automatically generated liga substitutes will be arranged in different order by the application itself, any ffi and ffl ligas will be viewed properly in Text View?

Yes, it works now.

Georg

Do you have plans to add feature ordn { # Ordinals for ordfeminine and ordmasculine; feature sups { # Superscript ; feature subs { # Subscript ; and/or dlig { # Discretionary Ligatures to generate features automatically?

Only the “ordn” feature is missing. The other features are supported. All glyphs with a “.subs” suffix will end up in the Subscript feature and so on. Please see the full list of names in the help file.

Ligatures are composed with component glyph names connected by a underscore, like “f_adieresis”.

Does it generate small Caps automatically as well?

Yes, it does generate the smcp feature automatically, provided that your glyphs are called as the manual indicates (.sc; I guess .smcp works as well).

One remark about the lookups Olfar posted:

The two orders …

sub f i by fi;
sub f l by fl;
sub f f by f_f;
sub f f i by f_f_i;
sub f f l by f_f_l;

… and …

sub f f i by f_f_i;
sub f f l by f_f_l;
sub f f by f_f;
sub f i by fi;
sub f l by fl;

… should be equivalent as long as they are in the same lookup. In other words, it shouldn’t make a difference whether you do it the first or second way.

@meccablue This is not true. In the first case, you never get a f_f_i because the f i combination is always substituted to fi. So when it reaches the line the “sub f f i by f_f_i;” there is “f f_i”.

Is there a way to rename my glyphs other than one by one?
That will come in handy for those who named the glyphs differently!
Perhaps a Python script or a “import glyph names feature” :slight_smile:
Thanks

Sorry, find and replace… that was a stupid question on my part!

I’m trying out the latest trial version and one of the things that attracted me to Glyphs was the support for OpenType features. Unfortunately, I’m having great difficulty working out how to add them, and I’ve noticed that documentation is currently a little light.

What I’m doing is going to the dialogue mentioned in the title of this thread, hitting the little + button and selecting “Feature”. What I expect to happen next is that I would get some means of selecting the feature I want and then adding something like the list of substitutions given by the OP. But instead nothing seems to happen, though “Undo Add Feature” does show up in the Edit menu.

The words Instances, Classes and Features in the left-hand column of the dialogue appear to be greyed out to me.

Enlightenment please?

The button links the glyphs you’ve done before. So you must generate your substitute glyphs and name them according to certain rules (look for the “Glyph naming scheme for automatic feature generation” section in Help > Glyphs Help).

If everything goes fine, Glyphs will generate the necessary code for the supported features. If automatic generation doesn’t suit your needs, you can edit the code.