Font sits too high, also too small

I’m creating an emoji sbix font with PNGs for iOS devices. I’m trying to make it look natural, but there are two problems:

1. Emojis sit too high on a line.
  2. They’re too small.

IMG_1791

I tried manipulating vertical values (ascender, descender, x-height, cap height), I tried exporting to both .ttf and .otf, I tried other emojis and PNGs - none of it helps. Could anybody help me with that?

I’m testing it on an iPhone 6, if that’s of any help.
My PNG sizes are: 32, 48, 64, 96, and 128.

Technically the number you put after the iColor in the layer name is the amount of pixels that will make up the font size. What you could do is use a number in the layer name that is lower than the actual vertical measurement of the picture you drag in.

The latest versions (perhaps update to the latest cutting edge in Preferences > Updates) display the picture in the effective relative size. You may need to switch to another layer and back again to trigger redraw.

By default the Apple renderer always puts them on the baseline. The standard knows an originOffsetY value in the sbix table. But IIRC the Apple renderer ignored that value and did its own displacement depending on the size of the image. (Edit: see Georg’s answer below.)

Okay, your advice did help with the size, thank you! But the emoji is still too high.
Interestingly, it’s the same amount of pixels high than before, take a look:

IMG_1793

Could you help me with that?

The position of the images is controlled by a tiny path in the main glyph.

1 Like

Ah, yes, now I remember. I will update the sbix tutorial.

Yes, that worked, thank you. I’m very happy with your quick support and updates :slight_smile: