G3 fsSelection Italic

I have a variable font with all instances style linked but in the exported font fsSelection is Regular. How can I set it to Italic?

Thanks!

Style linking works differently in a variable font, namely axis-based, not instance-based. What is used is a STAT value of format 3. I believe it currently cannot be done out of the box. We are working on an implementation.

Thanks! Altough my problem is not with style linking but how to setup macStyle and fsSelection to italic. I mentioned style linking becuase I thought Glyphs use that info to set it on statics right?

Reviving this old thread…
I still think fsSelection and macStyle should be set to “italic” on Italic VFs.

cc @GeorgSeifert

That is implemented in the upcoming 3.2 update.

Thanks!!

In Glyphs 3.2, it will be that if the name of the variable export settings has “Italic” in the name, those fields should be set correctly.

Great thanks! I’m wondering if it should apply also for “Oblique”

Not sure if a “Oblique” will work as an italic (in terms of style linking).

I am working on a single-style italic font. Is there a way to set fsSelection to italic? Using “This instance is the italic of”, and leaving the field empty, does not set the fsSelection bit.

The “isItalic” setting should set the first bit in fsSelection.

You mean something like this?

for instance in Font.instances:
	instance.isItalic = True

Just realized, yes, the italic bit in fsSelection is set.

The background is: I am playing around with Fontbakery, and it still insists that “Font is not italic, so post.italicAngle should be equal to zero.” Looks like there is something else in the font missing that indicates it is italic?

Ah, okay, I finally found out why Fontbakery was behaving so strangely: It refers to the file name! Of all things, this is what I would expect least.

• If the file name contains “Regular”, it firmly believes the font is not italic, even if the flags and the italic angle inside the font consistently indicate that the font is italic. Resulting in a FAIL.
  • After re-naming the file to “…-Italic”, Fontbakery believes the font is italic but complains that “Name ID 17 (Typographic Subfamily Name) must contain ‘Italic’”, resulting in a FAIL.
  • If I simply strip the file name to the basic typeface name, without style indication, Fontbakery becomes unsure, and therefore more generous, and does not complain about the flags, italic angle or name IDs any more.

So much for that. Just rename the file to pass the tests. Maybe this information will be helpful for someone at some point.

Sorry for the hassle and the wrong assumption that Glyphs does not write the italic flag.

You might post this on the fontbakery repo.

That’s true. For the record: “Font is not italic” com.google.fonts/check/italic_angle · Issue #4372 · fonttools/fontbakery · GitHub

1 Like