Getting rejected plug-ins to work with Glyphs on macOS Catalina

I had a few customers reporting that RMX was rejected by macOS after upgrading to Catalina. Strangely, I did not manage to not get RMX to work with Glyphs on Catalina (even though I installed a fresh Catalina on an external hard drive to make sure no “accepted” flags are set for the binary).

Anyway, after playing around with how to get other rejected plug-ins to work, I think I found the right recipe (and this was confirmed to work with RMX as well):

• When the system complains: do not move the plug-in file to the bin (i.e. klick Cancel)

• In System Settings > Security and Privacy > General: klick Open Anyway (Make sure this refers to the plug-in. There may be something else in the pipeline.)

• In the “Install Plugin” dialog: klick Install

• In the Dialog “… Do you want to override it?”: klick Cancel (this is really important!)

• Restart Glyphs

• In the dialog “… Are you sure you want to open it?”: klick Open

• You may have to restart Glyphs (not sure about this but it does not hurt)

This work-around should work for all rejected plug-ins.

My Apple developer enrollment has been underway for a week – hopefully I can provide you with a proper notarized version of RMX soon.

Please let us all know if you have further insights to share!

4 Likes

And how about us, who
override it, and now it doesn’t show up?

2 Likes

Hi, just wondering is there any further developemnt on this?
I am still having this issue a lot, with many plugins. RMX, Noodler, SuperTool etc. It does not matter which plugin. OS always sends same reponse. :cry:

It should only reject plugins that you instal manually. Try to use the Plugin Manager as much as possible. You might need to manually remove the old version.
And RMX should be updated already.

Ok, I’ll try a fresh install and do it this way, and report back.

ps. as many plugins can often cause Glyphs to hang or crash, my scripts folder has many duplicates from trial and error troubleshooting :woman_shrugging:

To update RMX, download the latest version at https://remix-tools.com/glyphsapp/update/full

Using the plugin manager seems to be the key. I had been adding plugins the old way.
Thanks all.

Hi! Sorry I don’t know if you can help me. I have the last version of Catalina and Glyphs. I’m trying to install and use the @Tosche plugin, Pixel Pen Tool (GitHub - Tosche/PixelPenTool: A tool plugin for Glyphs for easier pixel font design.) but I can’t use it. I’ve tried install it by Plugin Manager (restarting after install) and manually following the Tim instructions but the tool doesn’t appear on my tool bar :confused:. Can you help me please?

Hi Samu, could you open Macro Window and try to find errors regarding Pixel Pen Tool?

dumb to ask @Samu, but you only have one Pixel tool enabled, right?
does the other Pixel tool work?

Hi Tosche! Thank you for your tip! The Macro Panel reported an error about Vanilla module, I’ve installed the Vanilla module and now works perfectly installing your plugin from Plugin Manager. Sorry, I think this a beginner mistake :sweat_smile:

Hi ghost! Thank you for your reply! Other plugins worked before try yo install Pixel Pen tool plugin. I’ve installed the Vanilla module and now works.

1 Like