I’ve been trying to figure out a simple way to use the ‘glyphOrder’ custom parameter (section 5.5.6 of the manual). Apparently, it only works if the file was generated by some other application, or if I type manually the order I want: if I copy and paste the text from, say, InDesign or Word, it doesn’t seem to work, no matter if the names are separated by commas, commas and spaces, line breaks… Now, if I paste this same text in Robofont, save the UFO and then import it into Glyphs, it works just fine.

Of course, I can go to Robofont everytime I need to do this workaround, but I guess this is not the best way to do it.

[Working on Glyphs 1.3.19 (485)]

You add one letter per line in the dialog that comes up if you try to edit.

Thanks for the quick answer, Georg. Yes, I can do that, but that means I need to type it one by one, right? I am working on a font with 718 glyphs and counting, and I do have the list already done in Word, so I was wondering if there is a better approach. You can download a screenshot showing my problem here:

As you can see, in the first picture the glyph order starts with .notdef, A, B, C… but that is not what the main window shows (i. e., doesn’t recognize any Predefined Sorting). But again: if the file comes from an UFO, it shows the Predefined Sorting just as I want it, as the second picture shows. On both cases it’s the same text. I am wondering if it has to do with the fact that on the first case the list somehow is not recognized by Glyphs as one single line, but as independent lines (I marked that with red on the pictures).

I cannot recreate this. I could copy and paste plaintext just fine. I tried in 1.3.17 and in the latest beta, but I don’t have 1.3.19. Perhaps there was a bug in that version.

Or another possibility: Word possibly uses different linebreaks (CRLF would be typical for Windows). So perhaps try a simple plaintext editor, like TextWrangler and make sure it saves with LF linebreaks only.

Thanks! Pasting from Word or InDesign doesn’t work, but pasting from TextWrangler works perfectly. :slight_smile:

So does Apples TextEdit

This is interesting. I will fix the Word pasteing. But a decent text editor like textwrangler is much better for the job.

In TextEdit, I recommend Format > Make Plain Text first.

Textwrangler is indeed much better for the job but you may not get the text in the software of your choice. I do not know if this is an error in the Adobe or Microsoft applications copied from or in the text box they pasted into. It would be nice not to have to copy and paste twice through an intermediate application though. This same issue occurs with FontLab as well.

If you cannot do a Copy and Paste, try selecting all of the text and while selected, drag it to the app you want it in. This sometimes works for me when a Copy and Paste does not.

I fixed it. It turns out that Word uses the wrong line ending characters.

Thanks for fixing it, Georg.