Glyphs 2 Beta

Just having an impression that it used to work differently. That I could change width and the RSB would remain the same. I may be wrong though…

Anyway, thanks for confirming that it works properly.

Yes, my grid is set to full units. If I change its subdivision to 10 it works properly. But is it a standard practice to work with decimals? Couldn't it cause problems or affect performance in other so›ftware when using fonts with non-integer coordinates?

Only the side bearings are calculated with fractional units. And as they are calculated from the slanted bounding box it will produce fractional values.
I will see that I can increase the threshold a bit to not show the values in red in this case.

We haven't seen any problems anywhere yet. On the contrary, especially Italic designs can profit from finer OTF grids. You may want to expand your alignment zones by one unit though.

And if you still don’t want decimals, you can set a custom parameter grid step to 1. Then, your coordinates will be rounded at export.

BTW, technically, the coordinates are still stored as integers, only accompanied by a div instruction.

Greek Omega is behaving weird. In building Polytonic Greek, Omega’s metrics isn’t used (only the width of accent and iota). This doesn’t happen in other letters or Glyphs 1, and I suspect that this is because it has new “altName” attribute in GlyphsData and therefore appears in “Symbol” category. What is the intended use of altName? Also, can you make it appear as a Greek letter when it’s simply named as Omega? Otherwise, should I use Omegagreek? This behaviour probably also applies to Delta and mu.

added: I renamed them as Omegagreek and Deltagreek, and then they moved to Greek, as Omega and Delta. Polytonic components were now working fine. After saving and opening the file again, things are back at the start, as if nothing happened. What’s going on here?

When many-to-one substitution (not necessarily liga feature) is active in the edit view, caret position is wrong after substituted ligatures when you navigate by keyboard or mouse. It seems to forget that substitution happened and count one glyph less or something like that. This is a long-standing problem from Glyphs 1.

I hope this is the right place for further suggestions.

When I want to figure out the distance inbetween curves in my glyphs I normally have to press ctrl+alt+cmd, then click on a point and drag to another to see its distance.
So why not have a simple feature, that when the measurements tool is selected (or maybe even just the normal selection tool) and I take my cursor into my glyph it always shows me a tangent with the distance inbetween my curves at the position my curser is at.

Is that somehow understandable? I hope so, bc that would be kick ass! I’ve seen something similiar today in the FL Studio Alpha and found it quite useful.

I think the automatic tangent thing is not really useful because the tangent might not be the direction you actually like to measure. And it can be annoying to have this thing jumping around all the time. But I might be wrong about this.
With the measurement tool, you don’t need to aim for a node, just drag over the stem and it will measure the intersection with the paths.
And if you select some nodes, you can see the vertical and horizontal distance in the gray info box.

Yes, maybe you are right. Maybe it would be too much for the normal selection tool, but maybe the measurements tool? I also thought of it more as an additional feature rather than a replacement. I like the fact that you can measure multiple distances at once, that is great. But I don’t think that this feature would collide with any existing ones.

The most common use for the tool for me is to compare the consistency of contrasts inside my curves. And for now you would have to click multiple times to figure that out.

But these are just some thoughts. How about other people? Is that something you would find useful?

I think measurement could be improved, but not to that extent. For me, measurement tool as it is today is fine for checking contrast. I sometimes want to measure distance between outlines of multiple glyphs. Also, when I’m moving something, I want to se how far it is going from the original position (i.e. horizontal, vertical, and diagonal distance). It was visible in FontLab, and I still miss it.

Georg, could you please fix that Greek Omega issue? I cannot export a font because of that problem.

Seems like variation interpolation is not working in Glyphs 2.0.0 (688)

Variation interpolation? You mean brace or bracket layers?

Update: I see, you meant my script. I’ll have a look.

Mekkablue, thanks!, Now it is working perfectly:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDbaUlHifBc

Thank you, Nicolas, I added the video link to the readme.

Minor cosmetic bug: percentages in transformation panel use comma which is not the localized form of decimals.

Fixed that one yesterday.

Hi,

The latest version is not working. It says: This app is invalid or damaged. Please re-download the App from glyphs.com.

Off course I’ve done this. Also dropped my license on the app icon. And turned on ‘Anywhere’ in the ‘Allow apps downloaded from’ menu in the Apple Prefs panel.

How to fix this?

I’m working on it.

After this system setting, it worked for everyone who has had this problem. Perhaps, after setting the pref, restart or log out and back in before you start the app.

Hi, after the last update (with restart), I can’t open none of my files, if I try it glyphs unexpectedly quits.