Glyphs 2 Beta

Thanks Georg

Definitely I am going to use this method in my workflow.

Some feedback regarding the newly introduced kerning indicator: (great feature!) it would be useful to have the indicator displayed at even smaller sizes, down to 50pt.

When in text edit mode (T keyboard shortcut): The metrics numbers seem to persist now and toggling “Show Metrics” only turns off the bounding box indicators.

The kerning indicator should be toggle-able separate to the metrics numbers in text view, as in, I want to be able to see only text, and kerning indicators. Currently the metrics numbers and kerning indicator must be viewed together.

But this gets quite fuzzy than. fixed that already

Any news on the rounded font filter bug I reported here? I’m really looking forward to using this feature.

I thought I had fixed this. Thanks for the reminder.

i just realized, that the custom parameter (Scale to UPM) set in the instances got a problem with components and accents. these experience shifting around in the otf and woffs.

Hi guys!

I have had problems with this issue. What I did is to generate an instance instead of a font, and with the new generated instance, with its UPM scaled, I fixed all the metrics parameters values like shoulder line, ascend, etc. (because this values are not scaled) and generated the fonts from this new instances. In this way, all the mark base and mark to mark stayed in order.

Changing the topic, I am working on a font that has a proper set of superior letters with glyphs named according with the Glyphs’ xml. But I see that these letters are not being taken in consideration by the OT feature generator in order to generate a sophisticated ordinals feature. Can I suggest that Glyphs be able to make the following ordinals feature automatically?

lookup ordSpanish { # Portugese and Spanish
…sub [zero one two three four five six seven eight nine] [R r]’ [A a] period by rsuperior;
…sub [zero one two three four five six seven eight nine] rsuperior [A a]’ period’ by ordfeminine;
…sub [zero one two three four five six seven eight nine] [R r]’ [O o] period by rsuperior;
…sub [zero one two three four five six seven eight nine] rsuperior [O o]’ period’ by ordmasculine;
…sub [zero one two three four five six seven eight nine] [R r]’ [A a] by rsuperior;
…sub [zero one two three four five six seven eight nine] rsuperior [A a]’ by ordfeminine;
…sub [zero one two three four five six seven eight nine] [R r]’ [O o] by rsuperior;
…sub [zero one two three four five six seven eight nine] rsuperior [O o]’ by ordmasculine;
…sub [zero one two three four five six seven eight nine] [A a]’ by ordfeminine;
…sub [zero one two three four five six seven eight nine] [O o]’ by ordmasculine;
} ordSpanish;
lookup ordEnglish { # English
…sub one [S s]’ [T t ] by ssuperior;
…sub one ssuperior [T t]’ by tsuperior;
…sub two [N n]’ [D d ] by nmod;
…sub two nmod [D d]’ by dsuperior;
…sub three [R r]’ [D d ] by rsuperior;
…sub three rsuperior [D d]’ by dsuperior;
…sub [zero one two three four five six seven eight nine] [T t]’ [H t] by tsuperior;
…sub [zero one two three four five six seven eight nine] tsuperior [H t]’ by tsuperior;
} ordEnglish;
lookup ordFrench { # French
…sub one [E e]’ [R r] [S s] by esuperior;
…sub one esuperior [R r]’ [S s] by rsuperior;
…sub one esuperior rsuperior [S s]’ by ssuperior;
…sub one [R r]’ [E e] [S s] by rsuperior;
…sub one rsuperior [E e]’ [S s] by esuperior;
…sub one rsuperior esuperior [S s]’ by ssuperior;
…sub two [D d]’ [E e] [S s] by dsuperior;
…sub two dsuperior [E e]’ [S s] by esuperior;
…sub two dsuperior esuperior [S s]’ by ssuperior;
…sub one [E e]’ [R r] by esuperior;
…sub one esuperior [R r]’ by rsuperior;
…sub [zero one two three four five six seven eight nine] [E e]’ [S s] by esuperior;
…sub [zero one two three four five six seven eight nine] esuperior [S s]’ by ssuperior;
…sub one [R r]’ [E e] by rsuperior;
…sub one rsuperior [E e]’ by esuperior;
…sub one esuperior [R r]’ [S s] by rsuperior;
…sub one esuperior rsuperior [S s]’ by ssuperior;
…sub two [D d]’ [E e] by dsuperior;
…sub two dsuperior [E e]’ by esuperior;
…sub two [D d]’ [S s] by dsuperior;
…sub two dsuperior [S s]’ by ssuperior;
…sub two [D d]’ by dsuperior;
…sub [zero one two three four five six seven eight nine] [E e]’ by esuperior;
} ordFrench;
lookup ordAbbreviations {
…sub M [E e]’ [L l] [L l] [E e] parenleft [S s] parenright by esuperior;
…sub M esuperior [L l]’ [L l] [E e] parenleft [S s] parenright by lsuperior;
…sub M esuperior lsuperior [L l]’ [E e] parenleft [S s] parenright by lsuperior;
…sub M esuperior lsuperior lsuperior [E e]’ parenleft [S s] parenright by esuperior;
…sub M esuperior lsuperior lsuperior esuperior parenleft’ [S s] parenright by parenleftsuperior;
…sub M esuperior lsuperior lsuperior esuperior parenleftsuperior [S s]’ parenright by ssuperior;
…sub M esuperior lsuperior lsuperior esuperior parenleftsuperior ssuperior parenright’ by parenrightsuperior;
…sub M [M m]’ [E e] parenleft [S s] parenright by msuperior;
…sub M msuperior [E e]’ parenleft [S s] parenright by esuperior;
…sub M msuperior esuperior parenleft’ [S s] parenright by parenleftsuperior;
…sub M msuperior esuperior parenleftsuperior [S s]’ parenright by ssuperior;
…sub M msuperior esuperior parenleftsuperior ssuperior parenright’ by parenrightsuperior;
…sub M [E e]’ [L l] [L l] [E e] by esuperior;
…sub M esuperior [L l]’ [L l] [E e] by lsuperior;
…sub M esuperior lsuperior [L l]’ [E e] by lsuperior;
…sub M esuperior lsuperior lsuperior [E e]’ by esuperior;
…sub M [M m]’ [E e] by msuperior;
…sub M msuperior [E e]’ by esuperior;
…sub M [M m]’ period’ by msuperior;
} ordAbbreviations;

I am open to suggestions about this.

Regards,

Nicolás

I like the newly introduced kerning and metrics indicator. Would it be possible to have it as an option ? Like “Show Metrics” in the view menu ?

Is there a way to turn it off ?

Most of the things you show are not ordinals, but language-specific abbreviations. The letters should go into the sups feature, and the user can activate it when necessary. Glyphs can build that feature automatically if you use the sups suffix: "x.sups".
By fuzzy do you mean that it is visually fuzzy or moreso that it's inaccurate? I only need to see it to know whether kerning has been applied or not

It is visually fuzzy. A lot small numbers that might overlap because there is not enought space.

Does any one else have the preview panel not displaying anything at all? It started with being a bit buggy and now (since 2 weeks or so) it’s just plain white. I tried restarting countless times, having it active or inactive. Nothing.

OSX 10.10.1, G2 2.0.0 (689)

There are incompatibilities with some of my plugins, e.g. Show Angled Handles, and Show Crosshair. I will address these issues after the stable release. For now, you need to deactivate the options in the View menu, or use the free "GlyphsViewer" iOS app instead.

On a side note, although this is not linked to this issue, the latest OS and app versions are 10.10.2 and 692, respectively.

Thanks! I got all plugins switched off, it works. Looks like show interpolations and show filled background are causing it. The show Crosshair isn't even installed yet. The Glyphs viewer app is a long time companion already, love that one too.

And i’ll check the updates, apparently the G2 beta needs to be updated manually? 'Cuz I checked for updates in the app, and it says it is up to date. If i go here http://www.glyphsapp.com/beta and download, it gets me the 689 (At least the zip file is called that)

When editing metrics, the values are constantly shown under the glyphs unless I zoom out. Switching the “show metrics” on or off doesn’t help.

Any idea ?

Fixed that already.

Update your system first and make sure you enabled Cutting Edge in the app prefs.
oh yes, i just saw it was switched off. thought I had it on. OS is updated now as well. Thanks :)

Glyphs app 2 Notes

Two issues in Glyphsapp version 1.43 and still not fixed in V. 2 (692)

1. When typesetting a few glyphs (in a Glyphs window) check the “right to Left” adjustment button;
    Then edit a certain glyph that has more than one layer,
    If you click the “Use as Master” the Glyph disappears from the typesetting window preview.

2. In Hebrew: The composite named: YodYodPatah-hb = FB1F
    results a of duplicates of “Yodyod”=05F2
    as it as it is requires a component: DoubleYod