Glyphs 2 Beta

What about a slider? Just kidding :slight_smile:

Glyphs Bugreport;

Hi all,

I was checking glyphs 2, and was pleased to see many new features. Probs to that.
By the way I was looking for some Bugs/Suggestions. I just post the negative ones,
its much easier to list all the positive things :slight_smile:
(Maybe some Bugs were solve in newer Version, sorry if obsolete):

Bugreport

1. – (I tried to find a post, but there isnt:)
    what are the ‘conceptual’ differences between glyphs 1 and glyphs 2?
    It seems to me that glyphs 1 has no advantages over glyphs 2 (after final-release)?

2. – There ist a visual Bug in the ‘filter-list’ (see img_1)

3. – When trying to increase the scaleing of a component - manualy via arrow keys -
    there is a number-rounding-bug. The number varies in a bizzare way. (see img_2)

(4. - the ‘copy-to-Background’ short-cut was changed from ‘cmd-k’ to ‘cmd-j’. Why :slight_smile: ? )

(5. - also missing the possibility of ‘alt-click-move’ to a curve, to keep the form of the curve and just vary the handles)

Suggestions

a. - is there an order-system in the new layer-function?
f.e. wich layer covers an other layer, is there a color/visibility range?

b. - is it possible to keep the spacing of different layers syncronized?

b. - does the ‘auto-hinting’ via context-menu works the same way the ‘auto-hinting’ via export does?

c. - could it be a good option while export a ‘web-font package’ also export a ttf-file
(now you have to do it manualy)

d. - I agree with setting the scaling-ponit-reference automaticly to the zero(?)-value.
I can imagine, to use a ‘transformation-box’ (f.e. like adobe does) could be an improvement for a font-tool.
Or give the possibility to set all reference-points via the small grid in the info-panel.

f. Its a bigger suggestion I also thought about while using G1:
Is there a possibility to form a code, which ‘detect’ elements in an (icon-)font,
that could be exchanged by a component (f.e. border-elements like a ring). For now you have
to chop-and-replace these elements manualy.

e. Will there be an ‘introduction’ to the new features of G2 (f.e. Rounded-Font, TrueType-Tool, Costum-axis etc.)?
G2 has massive improvements, would be nice to see them all. [FĂŒr mich ist das mitweilen das erste Programm,
bei dem es mir Spaß macht ‘aktiv’ an der Entwicklung beteilicht sein zu können (vor allem im vgl. zu FontLab 
).
Das Foren-System, das Beachten von Anmerkungen usw. sind mehr als löblich zu ErwÀhnen]

g. - I agree with many new design-solutions, like ‘hide the sidebar’, ‘flip’ the text-views etc.
But I’m not sure about the improvements of the new ‘surface-design’. The size of handles, icons, and construction of windows and edges feel
a little bit ‘massive’ or ‘unfinished’.I do not mean primarily the ‘flat-look’,
more the new proportions and the visible style to divide the modules
(f.e. feels to me that there is missing a ‘line’ between ‘text-preview’ and the ‘soft-focus’).
I would prefere the Interface of G1.
[Das hier ist aber eher ein Punkt im Sinne eines Kommentars, man kann es ja nicht jedem recht machen :)]

img_1
https://www.dropbox.com/s/tr62fv4q58bt7k4/img_1.png?dl=0

img_2
https://www.dropbox.com/s/pc99tlc7xx3exqx/img_2.png?dl=0

1. I am not sure I understand the question. Of course, version 2 has advantages over 1, not the other way around.
    2-3. Thx for pointing out. Partially known bugs.
  2. ctrl-opt drag, not just opt.

A it is the order of the masters, change it in font info.
B spacing in sync: you mean the widths of all masters in sync? Not yet.
B hinting: yes, but if the autohinter finds hints in place, it will ignore the glyph in questions.
C for which browser do you need a ttf rather than a woff or eot?
D you can already do that, set the transformation origin and scale. Or did you mean something else?
E there will be an updated manual, of course. But it takes a little time.

before getting a License for testing the beta version;
a few questions:

1. Are files reversible in a way Glyphsapp version 1.43 would read them back 
 or this might be a risky issue with testing V.2 Beta?
  2. Do V.2 require a 64 Bit Mac ?
  3. Can owners of V.1 benefit from the 50% upgrade discount if they wish to switch from AppStore to direct purchase via your website?

<<

I have a few of UI requests:

· In the font tab, it would be nice if the context menu worked when in list view.

· In edit view, I’d like to have “Make Component Glyph” in the context menu.

· In edit view, I’d like to have a command “Delete this glyph”.

Why context menu? It is always the selected layers it is applied to. What difference would the right-click context make? I could have used this on some occasions too. What I ended up doing was a little script:

thisFont = Glyphs.font
thisGlyph = thisFont.selectedLayers[0].parent
thisFont.removeGlyph_(thisGlyph)

Sorry if this is a known problem or if this issue are being discussed in another place but from yesterday at night, Glyphs 2 ask for upload to (618) but when I install the update, Glyphs 2 is unable to run. Any idea?

If it is necessary I can upload a screencast showing the behavior.

My system is OS X 10.9.5 (13F34)
My current Glyph 2 Demo is Version 2.0.0 (617)

Thanks

Reinstall Glyphs2 beta from the original download, then run “Check for Updates” again and let it update. I had a similar problem and it has been fixed in the latest update.

George Thomas, thanks for your piece of advice. Today the update notice was different (626 instead of 618) and now Glyphs 2 is working wonderfully. The reinstall process wasn’t necessary.

Is there a place where I can see a list of new features and changes in interface between Glyphs 1 and 2?

What does it mean if some glyphs are grey? Why does the “grey” go away after saving?[imgs=][/imgs]

The glyph has been modified during the current session.

... sorry, I was thinking about it, is not necessary I mean the method of visualizing scaling like the adobe-tools do it, in a bordered box with corner-edge-reference-points
New handbook is coming, but will take some time. In the meantime, take a look at Help > Change Log.

I have seen change log (not much there) but will wait for your revised handbook.

Hi guys, I read in the Change Log that you have fixed how Glyphs export to UFO, but with the current version (626) Glyphs 2 is crashing during the export process (it isn’t able to write the glyphs). A little screencast to show the behavior:

http://quick.as/9zwVSGOW

Thanks

Can you send us the .glyphs file?

I think i just fixed the ufo export problem.