Glyphs vs Glyphs Mini

I was cruising the Mac App Store and noticed Glyphs and Glyphs Mini. What is the exact difference between them? What can Glyphs do that the Mini can’t?

Glyphs Mini is a striped down version of Glyphs.

The main differences to the full version:

• no Multiple Master
  • no Scripting
  • no UFO im/export
  • limited OpenType feature support

What is is meant for:
Casual font design.
Draw icons to use them as web font.

Thanks for the reply. I’ve been playing with the Demo all day and really like the simplicity of your program as well as all the options. I’m thinking the Mini is what suites me best. Just to be sure I have a couple questions (new to creating fonts).

1. With the Mini, I can still open .TTF files, correct?
  2. What do you mean by, “limited OpenType feature support”?

Thanks again for such a great product. I’m thinking my iTunes balance is going to take a hit soon…

Hi,

to 1) TTF files are imported but converted to PS outlines. And it exports PS outlines only. There is no difference between the two versions.
to 2) Glyphs Mini will auto generate small caps, fraction and liga features. You can not add or edit your own features.

TTF files are imported but converted to PS outlines

just downloaded glyphs mini from the app store, but get a “document could not be opened” warning, when trying to open any .ttf file. am i doing something wrong?

There is no general problem with the ttf import. But there might be some ttf files that do not work. Can you send me some files that do not work?

certainly. i’m just testing against any available freely on dafont.com.

for example: http://www.dafont.com/top.php

Are there any restrictions as to what mini can open? Just bought it from the app store, tried about 50 fonts in all types of formats and nothing worked.

I also wasn’t able to paste anything from Illustrator at all. Is there something wrong with the App?

Never mind that last comment. Noticed that you have to click on the canvas in order to paste.

You might want to try and make pasting of vectors available with any tool selected. For instance it doesn’t work when the text tool is selected. That’s pretty confusing.

wayhey!

today’s update fixed my .ttf opening issue. many thanks :slight_smile:

Hi Georg,

Is it, or will it be possible to upgrade from Glyphs mini to the full version, if needed?

The Mac App Store does not allow upgrades.

I can offer an upgrade option if the purchased directly through me.

Hi Georg, then i would like to buy Glyphs mini through you.

How do I proceed?

You write me an email to info { at } { this domain}.

Can Glyphs Mini open SVGs? Also what exactly is “limited opentype support”? I assume it can still do kerning groups + pairs?

Thanks!

Yes, Glyphs Mini can import SVG and do kerning (with groups). You can’t add your own OpenType features, only a few

Schönen Guten Tag,

ich spreche leider kein Englisch und möchte mir gerne klar werden ob ich Gylph Mini oder die Gylph Standard kaufen will. Daher habe ich ein Paar Fragen die mir vielleicht ein Deutschsprechendes Mitglied des Forums Beantworten kann!

1. Die Testvision ist das Gleiche wie Gylph mini oder normal?

2. Kann man Freihandlinien ziehen um, auf einem Graphicktablett seine eigene Handschrift zu einem Schriftsatz zu machen?

3. Wo liegen die Unterschiede zwischen den beiden Visionen, da der Preis doch erhebliche unterschiede verspricht!

Ziel - Ich möchte mehrere Schriftarten entwerfen um damit meine Eigenen Bücher zu schreiben! Die Schrift soll eher geschwungen sein und etwas Altertümlich aussehen!

mit welchem Programm kann ich das erreichen ohne zuviel Geld auszugeben?

Liebe Grüße & ein Danke schön im voraus,
Herr WILL Mc NEIL

1. Die Testversion ist die volle Version.

2. Freihandlinien kann man nicht zeichnen. Dazu muss man ein Grafik-Programm wie Illustrator benutzen. In Glyphs gibt es ein Pfad Werkzeug wie es auch in Illustrator oder Photoshop ist, aber kein Freihand-Werkzeug.

3. In der Mini-Version kann man nicht:
    • Multiple Master/Interloation
    • eigene OpenType Feature. Nur die Features für Ligatur, Kapitälchen und Brüche werden automatisch angelegt.
    • einige Konfigurationen sind vereinfacht.

Für das Entwerfen einen Buchschrift muss man einige Zeit einplanen, das ist nicht in zwei Wochen erledigt. Die Zeichen- und Zurichtungs-Funktionen sind in beiden Version gleich.