Glyphs with same name preventing variable export

Hi Forum,

I’m trying to export a family and it gives me this error:
The font contains glyphs with the same name: oe.varAlt01, adieresis.varAlt01, edieresis.varAlt01, odieresis.varAlt01, cdotaccent.varAlt01, edotaccent.varAlt01, gdotaccent.varAlt01, i.varAlt01, j.varAlt01, zdotaccent.varAlt01, aring.varAlt01

I can’t localize these characters, are they generated by the variable export? How can I fix this?

Thanks in advance for your time

Yes. These are the bracket layers. Which exact version of Glyphs are you using?

Thanks for the reply! I’m on the latest one. I’ve traced back the problem to the brackets and solved it but every time I reopen the file, the bracket layers are there again :open_mouth:

Can you please send me the .glyphs file to support (at) (this website without ‘www’ or ‘forum’). I will have a look.

1 Like

Sent! Thanks for taking a look into this

Do you have bracket layers in those glyphs?

I’m facing the same problem
Glyphs 3.1.2 (3151)

Screenshot 2023-03-13 at 17.01.00

All theses glyphs are composed with components, and some of these component have bracket layers.

I tried to export it with the last cutting edge version, and the same error happen.
This is how my bracket layers are set :

Screenshot 2023-03-13 at 17.05.35

Note that only my components have bracket layers, glyphs made from components do not.

Any ideas about this issue ? :eyes:

I have more infos :

This issues happen if both components of a glyph have bracket tricks:

wacute is made with w and acutecomb
Both, w and acutecomb have bracket tricks.
Export Issue → The font contains glyphs with the same name: wacute.varAlt01

Here is a test file
Bracket Tricks Issue.glyphs (227.9 KB)

Currently it is not supported to have bracket layers in more than now component. I need to improve that. It should be possible to improve that in this case, where the brackets are matching in both components. Otherwise it becomes really tricky.

1 Like